Chapter 30: New Lovers

Everyone was silent, even Nighthawk. He and Starshifter stared at each other, just shocked. Shadow's jaw hung slightly open. A mix of fear, pain, and excitement was spread all over Nighthawk's face. Eventually the cloaked dragon huddled into himself and turned to the floor, hanging his head. The prince had never seen him like this before.

"My... daughter..?" Nighthawk mumbled soflty. "I have a daughter!?"

"Yeah, and you don't deserve to be around her." Aloe hissed, now shielding Starshifter with her wing. Shadow glanced at her, and his ears drooped a bit when he saw her eyes were watery. "Nightwings.. always ruining everything. Viper should have you three killed." She snarled, moving back.

"Mom- how could you not tell me..?" Starshifter let out a sad whimper before pushing away from her mother. "You told me that my father was killed!"

"It was to protect you!" Aloe growled. "Come on, we are leaving. He doesn't want you anyway!"

"That's not true.." Nighthawk stood back up. "Had I know about her, I would've returned. Regardless of what you wanted. Now that I do know, I'd like to meet her, get to know her." He paced towards Starshifter, who walked over to Shadow to hide a bit. This surprised the prince, but he put his tail around her gently as he sat up, holding her near him.

"Let's just calm down.." Shadow rumbled. "No need for any of this aggression.." He glared at Aloe and Nighthawk. "The last thing she needs right now is you two to be at each other's throats."

"Let my daughter go." Aloe hissed and walked to him with her tail barb raised towards him. "Or I'll kill you, right here right now." Shadow could tell she was serious by the look in her eyes. He lifted his head up with a low growl.

"I wouldn't anger an Animus.." Nighthawk chucked calmly. "He's not afraid to use it. And if you hurt him, at all, I'll take you out myself." He added. Starshifter huddled back into Shadow's warmth, hiding herself. The prince growled again as Aloe moved back and lowered her tail.

"Fine.." She hissed once again. "But give me my daughter.."

"Leave me alone.." Starshifter whimpered. "Take me outside please.." She looked up at Shadow, a look of desperation in her eyes. The prince nodded and stood.

"If you wish..of course.." Shadow sighed. He then lifted her up and placed her on his shoulder and back. "We'll be back. You two should avoid each other.." He said to Nighthawk and Aloe.

"Fine by me." They both said, and went their separate ways. Shadow began to walk out of the compound, now heading to a more secluded spot in the desert. They'd both been quiet the whole way. It felt impossible for Nighthawk to have a kid. He didn't even know he'd been with someone other than Sulu. He made it to an oasis nearby, and she climbed off before burying herself in the sand. Shadow walked to the water and started taking large gulps while she cooled off. Once his thirst was satisfied, he turned and looked at her.

"..So..." He rumbled quietly, now laying beside her in the sand. "I uh.. I'm sorry- about that- wow.." She poked her head up from the sand and glanced up at him. Her eyes were still a red as she shook the sand off herself.

"It's not your fault.. I just don't know what to think..." She mumbled. "My father- who I thought was dead my entire life, has suddenly appeared.. I'm just- I don't know!"

"Confused, hurt, scared?" Shadow suggested as he lowered his head down to her. "Because I know the feeling, for something else.. it hurts.." He rumbled in a low, soothing tone. "Nighthawk is a good dragon, and if you get to know him, I know he'd make a good father.." He gave a small smile and rest his head on the sand. She then walked to him and sat against his neck.

"That's just it, I was told Nighthawk is dangerous, and to stay away from him. I guess it makes sense now.." She hid under his shadow, away from the sun that beat down. He noticed this and curled a wing over her to shield her from the heat. "I don't know what to do.." He looked at her for a while, thinking of what to say.

"You know.. it might just be best to accept it. Sometimes that's all we can do. You should get to know him, he's a great and loyal dragon." Shadow smiled. Throughout his life, if he ever needed to count on someone he knew it would always be Nighthawk. Starshifter looked up towards him and he leaned his head down. She nodded a little and hugged onto his neck.

"Of course.. thank you Shadow." Starshifter said calmly as she gently stroked his scales. "Hm.."

"Hm.?" He rumbled in a low purr, leaning his head closer to hers as he stretched. "What.?"

"Nothing, just comfy.. you're comfy." She responded simply. Her talons then began to rub and massage the underside of his neck in a peculiar way. He jolted his head up with a snort, wondering what she was doing.

"Whaaat are you doing.?" Shadow huffed nervously, putting a talon over his neck where she was rubbing.

"Oh, just a massage.. thought I oughta do something to thank you." Starshifter shrugged with a smile. "Your neck feels soft."

"That so?"

"Yes.."

"Well then.." Shadow covered his snout, flustered. He never expected her to do that, and he was a little confused. However, it felt relaxing, so he leaned his head back down so she could keep at it. "We do not speak of this.."

"I won't tell a soul." Starshifter teased and got back to massaging his neck slowly. "You must like this.."

"It's not bad.. relaxing.." Shadow rumbled calmly before resting on his side, letting her massage his scales. He watched her move down to his belly, and he tilted his head. "Huh-"

"Soft." She pat his stomach, making him squeak a bit. "Very soft." He rolled his eyes. It was embarrassing that he enjoyed the feeling of her rubbing his stomach, especially for a prince. The large Nightwing snorted and relaxed a bit as she massaged his scales. Eventually she stopped and walked to his head. "Hm.. well then.."

"Hm..?"

"You're adorable." She poked his nose gently, making him recoil slightly.

"What."

"You. Are. Adorable! It's fun."

"If you say so.." Shadow huffed calmly before looking up at her. "We should probably get back-"

"Maybe, yeah. Alright let's go." Starshifter pat his shoulder and tried to push him up. Shadow let out a little chortling noise before standing and lowering his head down to her. They stared into each other's eyes a bit. It was at that moment when she leaned in and kissed him.