Chapter 43: Darkstalker

Shadow remained in Darkstalker's grasp. The fight has clearly been draining for both of them. He stared into Darkstalker's cold, almost soulless eyes as his ears drooped down. This was it. He was going to die.

"Any last words? Perhaps to your girlfriend! Or Nighthawk." He suggested before lifting him slightly. His hind talons barely touched the ground. The prince took a moment to look at his friends, sending one last good smile at them. At least it was supposed to his last.

Without warning, Darkstalker fell back and dropped the prince. Everyone in the crowd leaned closer to get a better look at what was happening. Several wounds and bruises appeared on Darkstalker's scales. All of them were wounds he would've received had he not been invulnerable. Which could only mean Kinkajou found the scrap of the old scroll.

"It's gone.." Shadow groaned with a small grin. "Hah.." He spat out a little blood before rubbing towards Darkstalker, feeling a surge of hope and adrenaline run through him. Despite how much pain he was in, he fought on.

"You're still kicking?" Darkstalker hissed. A dull purplish blood dripped from his wounds. "Hmph.." The two giants ran at each other and wrestled a bit. Even with his wounded state, Shadow managed to overpower him thanks to his brawny frame. He slammed his father into the platform before giving him a hard punch to the side of his face. Several teeth flew out of his mouth, all the while he struggled to break free from the hold.

"Not so tough now are you!?" He yelled and kept at it, punching hard left and right. Darkstalker groaned and hissed. The prince grabbed his head and pinned it to the ground. "I wish it hadn't come to this.."

"Shadow..- son-" Darkstalker let out a weak groan, glancing up at him. The prince stared down at him, keeping his bloodied talons and claws on his head. "Please-"

"Don't call me that.." Shadow hissed and pressed on his neck. "I'm not falling for your tricks. You've ruined any chances of me sparing you.."

"So you're gonna kill your father? As I did with mine?" Darkstalker grunted and spat out a small laugh. "Just like me, in search of power, but you have to remove the ones in your way.." If that were true, so be it. Shadow knew they shared some qualities and ideas, but he knew right from wrong. Panting and gripping his neck, the prince growled and grabbed the front of his snout with his free talon.

"You're right. I am like you." Shadow turned his snout so he could look at him. "But I'm not doing this for personal gain, I'm doing it for everyone in Pyrrhia."

"Your siblings- your mother.."

"Will be perfectly fine without you. So will everyone else." He then shifted and put his talons, one on a twisted horn and the other on his snout. "Any last words, Darkstalker?" The king nodded very slightly, taking a few moments to rest before looking into his eyes.

"Make me proud.." He smiled a tiny bit, showing his good side one final time. With a small wince, Shadow closed his eyes and sighed. He swiftly jerked his head sideways until he heard the crunching sound of his neck snapping. It was as awful as it was necessary. Darkstalker fell limp in his talons, dead. He took a few deep breaths, keeping his eyes closed. Small tears formed on his eyes before he let go of him, backing up and sitting.

"Shadowstalker defeated Darkstalker!" Nighthawk called from above, getting the attention of all the dragons around the arena. It was followed by a thundering roar from Tempest. Shadow looked up at the Nightwings, who were all bowing from their perched positions in the trees. Most looked unhappy about it, some even angry. Nighthawk and the others flew down towards him.

"Behold, your new King!" Nighthawk made an attempt to lift his talon, which he couldn't. Tempest gave a small eye roll and lifted it up into the air, gently holding his wrist.

"King Shadowstalker!" She barked. "Darkstalker's reign of evil and terror has ended!" Shadow glanced at her, just taking shallow breaths and staying quiet. He wasn't sure what to think or say. He was only seven, and he'd killed the most powerful dragon in the history of Pyrrhia. "You gonna say something, kid?" She asked, nudging him. "Come on, they're waiting!"

"I.. I don't- hooh.." Shadow mumbled and stammered. All the Nightwings staring and chatting was quite intimidating. He winced and sighed before sitting up straight. "Nightwings.!" He boomed and the noise stopped. "As your new king, I immediately order all of the invasions and attacks to cease!" He called. "Clean up this mess, and you may return to your kingdom. That is an order, get to it please!" He demanded. Without hesitation, they listened and started to fix up anything that and been damaged or ruined by the invasion.

"Look at that, loyal already. Seems they weren't too fond of Darkstalker." Nighthawk shrugged and pat his shoulder. "I'm proud of ya lad, did a good job."

"Thanks.." Shadow sighed quielty, gently clutching his chest. "This hurts.. a lot.. Need a healer.." That was when Starshifter looked up at him, then grinned a tiny bit.

"I think I can help." She offered. "Those spears look painful, you're very durable." He rolled his eyes and stood up.

"As can I. Got some experience." Nighthawk chimed in and started to help his daughter. "Got a little kit in my cloak."

"Well aren't you clever." Lobster walked up as well. "Can't believe he's dead, nice job your majesty.." He teased.

"It's certainly shocking. Couldn't have done it without Kinkajou. She disabled his invulnerability spell." He smiled at her and sat up before shrugging. "Where is she anyway?"

"Right here!" Kinkajou said from behind, materializing out of thin air. "You're welcome by the way. Don't take over the rainforest, this still has some space on it." She taunted.

"I don't plan to. Thank you for your help." Shadow lowered his head down. "As much as I'd like to celebrate, we got some cleaning up to do, so let's get to work!" He commanded. The others nodded and did as they were told while Nighthawk and Starshifter worked on his wounds. The battle was over, Pyrrhia was saved, and the world's biggest monster was finally slain.