Chapter 29: Old Lovers

Three days passed. The whole compound has been on high alert and everyone was getting ready to fight. Even the prince had done some training to prepare himself. Queen Thorn had been informed about the situation and her army was on standby. Shadow was wary about fighting his tribe, because he didn't want to have to go against them. There had to be a peaceful solution, and if there was he would need to find it.

Sitting beside him, Nighthawk and Starhunter had been listening to Viper talk about their plan. "I trust your training is going well?" The old sandwing asked.

"Of course.." Nighthawk replied. To Shadow's surprise, they'd been getting along incredibly well. Shadow stretched his wings and sat up as he looked at Viper.

"Perfect! Because the more prepared we are, the better. Darkstalker is outnumbered by my army, and Thorn's."

"True, but he could use his magic to improve their effectiveness." Nighthawk added. "He's done it before."

"I'm aware, so Thorn had Qibli produce some more of those earrings, like they did once he rose to power." Viper shrugged. "Not sure how, but they did it. We also have one of our own, not that I expect you to use it. Only do what you must, young prince." Viper said kindly. "Now then, anything else?"

"As of right now, no." Nighthawk said with a shrug. Viper nodded, then sent them on their way for the moment. Shadow walked with the two into one of the cooler rooms to relax for a while. That was when he saw Starshifter, and his face lit up.

"Oh, hey Shadow!" Starshifter smiled. They walked up to each other and he lowered his head down, receiving a small pat on the nose.

"Hey.." Shadow rumbled happily. Over the last several days, he'd spent most of his free time with her. They'd gotten quite close and he'd nearly forgotten about Mindwatcher. "How are you today.?"

"I'm doing well, thank you.." Starshifter stroked the side of his face before sitting up. "Where are you three headed?"

"Just going to the poolroom, since it's cooler in there. You want to join?"

"Why not?" Starshifter smiled. "My mother is there right now."

"The more the merrier! Come along then!" Nighthawk said enthusiastic as he began to head down the hall. The others followed. Once they arrived, Shadow walked to the large pool and climbed in with a relaxed sigh. The cold water felt fantastic on his scales, and he much preferred that over the dry desert heat. Starshifter was about to join them, until she spotted a female sandwing. He watched his friend run over to her.

"Hey mom!" Starshifter's tone was filled with joy as she hugged her mother. Shadow figured he would meet her eventually, and he figured the sooner the better. Nighthawk's eyes widened a bit when he looked over at them, then his jaw dropped.

"..Aloe-?" Nighthawk rumbled deeply. Shadow and Starhunter just watched while Aloe turned to the cloaked Nightwing. They both snarled at each other.

"Oh great...you.." Aloe hissed deeply. Nighthawk looked like he was about to tackle her into the floor, and she looked like she wanted to rip his face off. Starshifter moved aside, sitting beside her mother.

"Since when did you have a bloody daughter!?" Nighthawk growled a bit, lashing his tail violently as he slowly paced over. Many pairs of eyes turned to them, wanting to watch everything unfold.

"That is none of your concern.." Aloe hissed, curling her tail around Starshifter protectively. "Why do you even care?"

"Because I'm surprised anyone would even bother to have eggs with you after what you did to me.." Nighthawk hissed with his tail lashing.

"After what I did?" Aloe growled deeply. Starshifter looked at Shadow, then back to her mother and Nighthawk. "I was protecting myself because you are a psychopath!"

"You threw me out because I tried to stop you from working for Viper!"

"Of course! Now look at you, you're just his puppet!" Smoke began to rise from her snout as the two began going back and forth, just yelling at each other and dishing out a whole manner of threats and insults Shadow couldn't even comprehend coming up with. Nighthawk walked to her slowly. Shadow then got up and walked towards them, figuring someone oughta step in.

"Alright alright, that's enough!" Shadow boomed, getting their attention. He grabbed the two and held them away from each other, both protesting and snarling like angry cats. "No fighting."

"Put me down Shadowstalker..." Nighthawk hissed. "Right now."

"Let me go you beast!" Aloe hissed and tried stinging him with her tail. He moved his claws and pinned her tail.

"Don't call him a beast!" Nighthawk hissed and growled. "Shadow put me down!" He yelled as he tried slicing at his claws. Shadow growled and squeezed them a little bit. He didn't know their history, but he wasn't going to let them murder each other. He dropped the two and pinned them to the floor.

"Will you two STOP?" The prince roared. It was loud and powerful, making both of them stop and stare up at him. "We have bigger problems than whatever you two've got going on!" He hissed, keeping the two under his large talons. Aloe glared up at him and he felt her tail prick into the side of his talon. He pulled it back and groaned, which gave Aloe the opportunity to escape. She leaped up and moved away from them and back to her daughter.

"Mom! Why did you sting him-" Starshifter ran to him and inspected his talon. A little trickle of blood dripped down where it was stung, and the pain was throbbing. "It's okay- she didn't get too much poison in.. what is wrong with you two!?" She turned to her mother, then Nighthawk. "Why do you hate each other so much?"

"Because she kicked me out!" Nighthawk snarled.

"And he destroyed my home!" Aloe hissed. "You ruined my life! I had to raise our daughter alone!" The room went silent. Nighthawk, Starshifter and Shadowstalker just stared at Aloe.

"What-?" Nighthawk said quietly. He and Starshifter stared at each other for a while until Aloe finally said something.

"Starshifter is your daughter."