Chapter 36: Banter

Night passed, and the next morning the main hall of the compound was packed with dragons. Viper had prepared a speech with Queen Thorn to discuss the recent events. Shadow sat with Nighthawk and Starshifter, all three watching closely. Viper cleared his throat and rang a gong to let the others know he was ready to start.

"Good morning." Viper called to everyone, speaking loudly and clearly. "Yesterday as you know, the Nightwings attacked. We won, thanks to Thorn and our Nightwing guests. In response to Darkstalker's little invasion, which is an act of war, we have decided to continue fighting against the Nightwings. With the combined strengths of our armies we will easily crush them! Of course, our ultimate goal is to take half the night kingdom."

"In addition." Thorn started. "I'm going to send patrols around the kingdom to scout for possible Nightwing attacks. Anyone who spots a Nightwing must report to my soldiers, and they must report to me. Most of my forces will set up camp around the scorpion den and the surrounding southern areas." She said calmly. "Any questions?"

"Yeah. Why are we helping them? They caused all of this!" One dragon yelled. "They got our dragons killed!"

"And who cares what happens to the Nightwings?" Another asked. Thorn and Viper looked at each other with a slightly irritated look before turning to the crowd.

"They attacked us. We're fighting back. If we don't, Darkstalker wins and takes over Pyrrhia. We don't want that now, do we?" Viper grumbled. Several murmurs of worry and anger spread through the crowd but eventually they settled down. "Any other questions?" He asked. They got nothing. "Perfect! Everyone is dismissed. Except for you two." He pointed to Shadow and Nighthawk. As the crowd dispersed, the Nightwings walked over to them. Shadow bowed, and Nighthawk rolled his eyes before joining him.

"Yes?" Shadow asked calmly. "What did you need?"

"Is there anything you can tell us about your father and his weaknesses?" Thorn asked, sitting up a bit. The prince pondered that for a minute before shrugging and thinking. There weren't many he could think of.

"We can't use magic.." Shadow said calmly. "Can't hurt him.." He sighed.

"He's got several dragons and mistakes from his past that haunt him, if that helps." Nighthawk said calmly. "Could go that route, if you're interested. I know you're a big fan of psychological torment.." He grumbled to Viper.

"Oh would you move on already? You have a wonderful marriage with that seawing." Viper scoffed. "But yes, that sounds like a fantastic idea."

"Speaking of the seawings.." Nighthawk started up. The cloaked Nightwing took out a cigar and lit it up before taking a few puffs. When he exhaled, he aimed the smoke towards Viper. This caused the sandwing to look a little irritated. "I got some contacts in the sea kingdom who'd be willing to help. And Queen Coral is still quite upset with Darkstalker after that whole anemone thing."

"There's an idea." Viper grinned. "Too bad we weren't friends in the war, could've used you. That was my goal at least. A scavenger who was skilled enough to kill a dragon, turned into a dragon! The perfect killer."

"Yeah yeah. I'm here now, anyway." Nighthawk started again. "Commander Tempest, one of the smartest dragons I know, best tactician I know. She'll know how to defeat him, but we'd need to head to the sea kingdom to discuss terms with the queen and everything."

"Understood. Thorn?"

"I'm fine with that. I might talk to the skywings." Thorn sat up a bit. "You both fought well yesterday."

"Of course.." Nighthawk replied with a small shrug. "Seems I still got it. Now then, we gotta start packing for the sea kingdom. Shadow, come along." He started to walk out of the main hall. The prince followed, and to his surprise so did Starshifter. He glanced down at her with a small head tilt.

"You guys are leaving?" She asked. A look of sadness and worry spread across her face. "Already?"

"We have to." Nighthawk turned to her as they walked. "To stop Darkstalker we need the help of a few others. They just so happen to be across Pyrrhia." He fixed his cloak and kept walking. Shadow glanced at Starshifter and brought his head down. He wondered if she knew about the spell he'd put on her or if she'd be mad. It was for her own good, and he couldn't lose her too.

"Why don't you come with us?" Shadow offered and tilted his head a bit. "Could use another one for the road."

"Oh- you'd be fine with that?" Starshifter asked with a small smile. "Because I'd be more than happy to help you guys!" Shadow smiled back and nodded, then Nighthawk turned and huffed.

"Are you sure?" He asked. Shadow could tell he was nervous, but if he knew about the spell.

'No.'

He can't tell anyone about it. Not even his own mother. Shadow nodded a bit. "We'll be there, everything will be fine." He said calmly with a smile.

"And besides, I can handle myself." Starshifter shrugged. "I'm pretty handy with a knife, can throw it good too."

"If you insist." Nighthawk grumbled calmly. "Alright then. Go pack your things, we leave at noon. We mustn't waste time, for the fate of the world is at stake." He proceeded down the hall, then Shadow and Starshifter rolled their eyes at each other with a small laugh.

"So cryptic. Can't believe that's my dad.." She chuckled and walked beside him. "I take it you're probably gonna carry everything?"

"It would be the best option." Shadow shrugged and smiled a bit. "And yes, he is quite ominous. It's kinda funny sometimes. I can't wait to see the ocean, it's been a hot minute." He said calmly to her.

"I bet it's beautiful." She hummed as they walked.

"It is. As are you." Shadow complimented. It was a little cheesy, but her reaction made him smile. The way she laughed and swatted at him playfully made him feel good. There was hope for love yet again.