Chapter 42: Duel for the Throne

Every dragon went silent. All were surprised, including Darkstalker. Shadow leaned his head back as Darkstalker walked a little closer. His heart was still pounding as he felt the fear rise inside him. He still didn't have a plan, but this would at least buy him some time.

"Really?" Darkstalker had a large, malicious grin on his face. "You know you're going to die, right? There's no way you can defeat me.." He hissed. "But fine, so be it." Nighthawk flew down to him, as did Tempest and Starshifter.

"What are you doing lad? He's gonna destroy you.." Nighthawk glanced at him with a small frown. Then he turned to Darkstalker with a growl. "Heard you tried to frame me.."

"I only did what was necessary to help Pyrrhia. Don't be so sour!" Darkstalker shrugged before glancing at him. "What a shame you didn't want to help me, old friend.. but after Shadowstalker is dead, you're next. Then you, and whoever this is." He gestured to Tempest, then Star.

"Hah. You might be all strong and magical, but I'd easily crush you in claw to claw combat old man!" Tempest barked and flexed her claws. "You don't scare me."

"Guys this isn't your fight-" Shadow started before he was interrupted by Darkstalker.

"Certainly not! This is between my son and I. They will die after." He lashed his tail. "There's no futures in which you win, by the way. So you may as well give up now.. And who is this?" He pointed to Starshifter, who was staying close to Shadow.

"I won't give up. And this is Starshifter.." Shadow growled and held her close to him with his tail. "But let's get this over with.. you three go.. I'll fight him."

"Shadow, let us help." Tempest begged. "Please, that's why we're here."

"You can't, it's not your fight." He looked back at her. "I can handle myself." With a sigh, Tempest nodded and took the others back.

"We shall see." Darkstalker started and flexed his claws. "Let's prepare. We end this right here, right now.. once you're gone nobody will be able to oppose me." Shadow took note that he seemed quite confident in the battle. Both were nearly perfectly matched, other than the invulnerability spell Darkstalker put on his scales. The king snapped his talons and the platform started shaking. It sank to the ground until it was partially buried into the soil.

"Too bad we weren't back home, because the arena would've been perfect.." Shadow suggested. "But this will have to do."

"Rather unfortunate isn't it? Always wanted to see a royal challenge there. Are you ready?" Darkstalker asked with a low rumble.

'No.' Shadow thought, but he had no choice. He glanced at the crowd, seeing everyone watching them from all around. Rainwings and Nightwings staring in awe and anticipation. ".. Ready.." They paced back and took a place on either side.

"Perfect." Darkstalker planted his front talons nearly before himself. Almost immediately after he pounced at him with his claws outstretched. The prince let out a small yelp and rolled to the side before kicking towards his stomach, knocking Darkstalker back. Due to the spell on his scales it was painful, almost as if he were kicking armor.

The two fixed their stances and Shadow jumped towards Darkstalker. The king caught him and slammed him into the platform as hard as he could. This was a painful move that knocked the wind out of his lungs, making him gasp for a few seconds.

"Predictable.. I can foresee any move you make!" Darkstalker grinned and reached his claws towards his throat quickly. Before they could make contact, Shadow swept his heavy tail at his legs. This knocked him over, causing him to let out a deep chuckle. 

"From what you told me, it was only the most likely ones you tend to focus on.. and I blocked myself from your futures." Above he heard a loud crack, which was a tree falling down towards him. It roared through the air and several leaves fell off. Shadow rolled out of the way just in time, and the large trunk landed in the middle of the arena between him and his father.

"Very fast, seems you've gotten some training. More than I expected from you.." Darkstalker spat. Shadow snapped a branch off the tree before jumping over the log, swinging it precisely. Just as Darkstalker went to dodge, he changed it's course and threw it towards him with brute force. The branch splintered into several pieces as it impacted Darkstalker, knocking him back. "Ngh.."

Shadow may not have been as skilled as Darkstalker, but he was definitely stronger with a more powerful build. This proved to be useful as the battle went on, for each hit on Darkstalker had a substantial impact on him. It may not be enough to hurt, but it was starting to wear him down bit by bit. They clawed, bit, kicked and punched at each other.

"You're a lot tougher than I thought.." Darkstalker let out a small groan, panting and flexing his claws. Shadow stood across from him with several wounds across his body. He had many bruises, but he was holding his own. "But this has gone on long enough.." Suddenly all around, dozens of long bamboo plants started to spin for several seconds. Once the spinning was one, many sharp spears shot towards him.

There wasn't much time to react. As the spears zoomed through the air towards him, he quickly did a counter spell that made them turn into harmless leaves. He then stared at Darkstalker with a growl, who sent another wave of bamboo spears towards him. There wasn't any time to react to the second barrage, and several impacted his scales. Each impact stung, all incredibly painful. The prince fell down onto the platform with a pained groan.

"You know, it really is a shame it has to come to this.." Darkstalker rumbled. Shadow looked up to see Darkstalker standing over him. His throat was grabbed and squeezed, the pressure gradually increasing. "Goodbye, Shadowstalker.."