Chapter 14: Brighteyes

Later that evening the prince sat with Mindwatcher on a balcony. She had come to visit him, which turned into comfort after what he told her about his father. There wasn't any way to change his father's mind, he was sure of it. Once Darkstalker had his mind made up, he wouldn't budge.

"I still don't understand what he needs all of Pyrrhia for." Mindwatcher sighed deeply while laying beside the prince. Shadow had his wing wrapped around her as they looked down at the kingdom below. He had been quiet for most of the day while avoiding many dragons in the palace.

"He wants control.. not just here but everywhere. He thinks it's his destiny because of how powerful he is." Shadow grumbled soflty. "I know mother wouldn't approve.. and his wouldn't either. There's no point. He has a loving family, his kingdom like he always wanted.." He mumbled. Part of him felt as though it were his fault. Perhaps he'd not done enough for his father.

"Some things just aren't in our control." She started. "And some dragons want more than they have. Look at gang leaders like Viper for example, or queens even! Of course that doesn't mean it's okay." She rubbed his arm slowly to comfort him. "He really didn't listen to you at all? I thought he always did."

"I thought so too, but this time he just.. he looked at me like I was wrong and worthless.." Shadow whimpered a little. His ears flopped down sadly while he leaned against her touch. Even though the look his father gave him was only for a fraction of a second, he'd still caught it. Mindwatcher gestured his head down, which he gladly lowered to her. Her arms and wings curled around his snout and head in a hug. It was a good feeling, he loved it.

"Shhh.. you're not worthless. Not to me, or our friends.." She said soothingly. "Just don't help him. He can't force you to do his work. You have your own priorities anyway. Alright?" She smiled, picking up his chin in her talons. "Let's just be happy together.. that's all we need.." She hummed. Shadow couldn't help it, but his snout had turned red. The large Nightwing made a little noise in response to her comment before nodding.

"Alright..just me and you..heh.." Shadow rumbled as he looked into her eyes. That was when she kissed him. "Hm.."

"Huh-" Shadow squeaked suddenly and paused. His snout reddened further and he led his head down. "Eep-"

"You are so adorable. Scared of the silliest things, and yet so brave at the same time." She teased. She went to kiss him again before someone burst out of the door. It was Nighthawk

"Shadow! Got something great for ya!" Nighthawk smiled as he walked to him. "It's perfect, but you need to come with me. Right now."

"Now-?" Shadow sighed. "We're kinda having a moment..I'd like to see where it goes-"

"No. Not enough time. It's happening now." Nighthawk said as he got up and pulled on his arm. "It's important, has something to do with your father."

"Oh, alright alright.." Shadow sighed as he stood. "I'm sorry my love. I'll be quick."

"Whatever. Just hurry.." Mindwatcher seemed very irritated by this, and he even caught her rolling her eyes as he walked with Nighthawk. The two made their way down to the palace library Brighteyes was sitting by herself with several scrolls across a fallen log, and she seemed quite focused on her work. The heavy footsteps of the prince alarmed her and she jumped slightly.

"Oh! Your majesty. There you are." She said. "Good to see you again." She smiled and gestured him over. The prince proceeded towards her before sitting down. "How are you doing tonight?"

"I'm mostly okay, you needed me?" Shadow asked, tilting his head to the side slightly as he tried to figure out what she was working on. "What's that?"

"I plan to testify against your father, along with your mother and Nighthawk. Several other council members have signed this scroll as well." Brighteyes said with a confident smile. Nighthawk nodded in agreement.

"We're hoping if we can convince him, the rest of the council, and perhaps the other queens that we shouldn't go through with it, then he will change his mind." Nighthawk added.

"And if he doesn't? We already failed to convince him once.." Shadow winced, feeling like he did something wrong. That feeling of disappointing his father was creeping over him like vines in the old palace walls. He shivered and his spikes stuck up slowly. "I'm not sure this will work.."

"I've got my hopes. If it doesn't, I know I won't be helping him, and neither can you. Should we not help him, he won't succeed. Calculated it." Nighthawk huffed.

"That's right. Darkstalker knows this too. He'll have no choice but to give up, which would ultimately hurt his ego." Brighteyes chimed in with a slight chuckle. "But he will be fine!" She smiled at them before getting back to her work. "I have confidence we can succeed."

"Well if you're sure." Shadow was slightly relieved that there was still a chance. "When does he plan to do this crazy plot anyway?"

"I would assume in the near future, lad. Let's hope not, ah?" Nighthawk said calmly. Without any warning, there was a quick shiny flash that whisked through the air, and a spear went right for Brighteyes' chest. She was still distracted, so she didn't see it. Nighthawk dove in front of the spear just in time, but it hit him in the stomach with a clanking sound. "Ough-" He groaned.

"Nighthawk!" Shadow yelled as he stood, alert and panicked. He quickly turned towards where the spear had come from.

"I'm fine-" The cloaked Nightwing groaned slightly. Birghteyes lay him on his back to look at the wound, making him growl a bit. Shadow stood in front of them, knowing whoever was there wouldn't dare attack a prince. Or would they? He shook his head and glanced at Nighthawk. His cloak had been cut open to check the wound, much to his dismay. To his surprise, the former soldier mostly fine. The spear stuck out of a thick metal plate over his stomach. Nighthawk growled suddenly. "I said I'm fine! Get off me.." He hissed.

Shadow backed up but kept his guard. Brighteyes moved towards the prince, hiding beneath his large wing. Nighthawk sat up and looked at his stomach, which had a small trickle of blood seeping down. It seemed the spear had cut in slightly, but not far. "We need to get inside. Now." The prince said.

"Right.. let's go." Nighthawk grunted and gathered the scrolls. The three got up and rushed back into the palace. Either someone must really hate Brighteyes, or someone wants to stop them from ending Darkstalker's Plan. Either way, Shadow knew they were all in danger.