Chapter 26: Reunion

Shadow, Nighthawk and Basilisk proceeded back to the scorpion den. His wings tucked close as they did. The sky above them was starting to turn pinkish orange, which meant the sun was rising. He couldn't believe how perfectly clear the sky was, not a single cloud in sight. Stars filled every inch of the open space above him, and the three moons were perfectly visible too.

"Shadow? You good mate?" Nighthawk asked before tugging on his claw. "We gotta move."

"Yeah, I'm fine! But do you see this!? It's amazing!"

"It's just the stars lad." Nighthawk snorted and kept walking. The prince rolled his eyes and hurried after him. By sunrise the three arrived at the scorpion den with Basilisk at the lead. Once again he walked through the market, which was surprisingly busy. Dragons were setting up shop left and right, and some even waved or called Basilisk to greet him. The giant sandwing waved back or said the occasional "Hello." One even tossed him a fruit which he happily took and ate.

"Wow, they seem awfully fond of you." Shadow said calmly, pacing behind him.

"Yeaaaah they do that a lot! Sometimes I'll come here and help out with the really heavy stuff." Basilisk said between bites of the fruit. "It's fun."

"It can be." Shadow shrugged. Once they arrived at the compound they walked through the gates. There were multiple guards and servants around the front yard, maintaining the area and keeping it safe. Basilisk trotted towards the doors with his tail swaying rapidly. "You seem energetic."

"I love walking to the compound! It's fun." Basilisk smiled. The ground shook a bit as the large dragon stomped towards the doors. All the leaves on the palm trees rattled as well, and the workers in the compound seemed startled at the way he was running. Shadow had always made sure to step quietly, especially when around others. His wings folded in and tucked close to himself while they all entered the main hall. Viper was sitting and waiting for them.

"There you are! Did that help? You two were gone an awful long time."

"Yes it did, thank you." Shadow said calmly, nodding a little as well. Basilisk smiled a him and the prince smiled back. Nighthawk walked between them and glared at Viper. It was like a dramatic scene in a scroll as everyone in the room watched with shock and surprise. Viper's tail curled up in a striking position while Nighthawk reached towards his cloak. Shadow was debating if he should step in. It was a long, intense and quiet moment as they glared at each other until finally, Viper broke the silence.

"Nighthawk, how bold of you to come here.." The old dragon hissed before slowly pacing towards him. Basilisk reached a talon down towards Nighthawk but Viper signalled for him to stop. "No. He's mine."

"Hello Viper.." Nighthawk growled deeply. "Been a while.."

"In person, yes. In spirit, no. I must say,  surprised you're even here. I'm assuming it's because if the prince."

"You'd be right." Nighthawk's tail lashed behind him. Shadow and Basilisk both stepped aside, giving the two space. "I promised him I would at least try to work with you rather than against, should you be true to your word when it comes to stopping Darkstalker." To Shadow's surprise everyone, even Viper, seemed shocked at this. The old sandwing grinned.

"This is a trick isn't it." He said slyly. "I've been around long enough to know what is and what isn't."

"No. It's not a trick. You want to stop Darkstalker as do I. And.. I figure if we have the same goal at mind, we oughta put our differences aside to accomplish it. Despite how much I truly and utterly resent you, I'm willing to work together." Shadow could see nor Nighthawk or Viper were enjoying this conversation, but he was a little happy there was hope for these two to possibly get along. Viper ended up laughing a bit before patting Nighthawk's shoulder a bit.

"How about that?" Viper called while looking at the other soldiers. Most looked either irritated, angry or confused. "Fine then! You are more than welcome to stay and help out!" He backed up and turned to the guards and servants. "Do not harm a scale on any of our guests, or I'll have you flayed." He growled to them, and they all nodded and bowed. Shadow tilted his head a bit.

"Really? Just like that?" Shadow asked, confused and surprised Viper even agreed to this so quickly.

"I'm willing to work with him if he's willing to work with me. It's business, young prince. You don't have to like who you're working with, as long as you have a mutual interest and benefit." Viper said casually, but he had a good point. Shadow nodded and shrugged a bit.

"I guess so. But.. after everything you two have been through? You two won't be at each other's throats?"

"He knows better to attack me in my own home. And I'm able to restrain myself enough to not kill him." Viper shrugged. Nighthawk rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "And besides, he's not the only dragon who kills my patrols and workers. Although he is the most notable."

"Hmph. If they weren't stealing from the other kingdoms I wouldn't have to." Nighthawk snorted with a smirk. "But it's entertaining, watching them panic at the sight of me."

"Right. As long as we're working together, no more of that please." Viper said sternly to Nighthawk. "Or we will have some problems."

"Fine.." Nighthawk grumbled a bit. Although Shadow could tell he really didn't want to, and he couldn't blame him. At least the night kingdom didn't have that problem, but he did wonder how the queens across the continent felt. Viper walked up to Nighthawk again, and the two locked eyes before the old sandwing extended a talon.

"Perfect. Do we have a deal then?" Viper smiled a bit. Nighthawk's tail lashed before he reached up and shook his talon, nodding.

"Deal."