Chapter 35: Loss

The sky was clear and the sun was shining. Shadow sat alone on a dune looking towards the compound. He'd been mostly quiet since the battle. Nothing could take his mind off of his friend, Starhunter. He wiped his eyes and slowly led down on the sand before closing his eyes. Hours passed until he heard someone coming towards him. When he opened his eyes to look, he saw Starshifter and Nighthawk pacing up the hill.

"What.." Shadow mumbled sadly. "Can't you see I want to be alone.?"

"I'd really rather not leave you alone. Not out here, anyway." Nighthawk sat beside his head. His red eyes filled with concern. Shadow remained silent before closing his eyes once again. "Talk to me, lad.." The prince said nothing and let out a small sad sigh.

"Shadow.?" Starshifter called. He heard her walk up and sit before him. "Just for a bit. We want to help you.." Shadow growled and lifted his head up.

"You can't help me!" He snapped, she jumped back and Nighthawk stood still. "There's nothing either of you can do! He's gone, dead. Never coming back. I grew up with him, we went to school together, graduated together, and I had to watch him die!" His tail lashed behind him, kicking up sand and scattering it about. "So no. There is nothing either of you can do to help me. Now leave." Nighthawk turned to him with a glare while Starshifter hid behind him. "I'm done with all of this."

"Shadowstalker." Nighthawk said sternly. "One. Do not yell at my daughter like that. Ever." He growled before shielding her with his wings. And two, I know exactly how you feel. It's war. Dragons die, friends die. Sometimes there's nothing you can do. The best way to handle it, is to honor their memory and come to terms with it. Your father is still out there, plotting and scheming. If you break down now, he wins. You need to stay strong, not just for all of us, but for all of Pyrrhia."

Shadow's ears dropped as he sunk back a little, keeping quiet while Nighthawk talked. He glanced up at him. "But-"

"No. There are no buts. I know how important friendship can be, and if you give up because of his death, then it means nothing." Nighthawk explained. "Darkstalker wants to break you. You can't let him. Apologize to my daughter." Starshifter moved aside and looked at him. Shadow tilted his head before slowly lowering it down to her.

"I'm sorry.." He mumbled. "Okay.." He sighed deeply and put his head on the sand again. She walked up to him and stroked his snout a little before sitting by it.

"You're just in a bad state of mind, but I'm here for you.." Starshifter put an arm around the top of his snout gently. "Always."

"As am I. If we're going to stop Darkstalker, we need to work together." Nighthawk added. He'd calmed down, but still had his arms crossed. "I might even call on some old friends to help.."

"You must mean the seawings.." Shadow said quielty. Starshifter's claws reached up and wiped his eyes slowly. He glanced at her and leaned his head on her a little. "Are you sure you wanna bring them into it..?"

"Certain. I know they would help. Tempest is a tactical genius, Lobster is always willing to fight by my side, and Sulu was never a fan of your father." Nighthawk said confidently. "But we'll have to travel to the kingdom of the sea. We already have the sandwings on our side, and with a little convincing the seawings will be more than eager to help."

"Okay.." Shadow rumbled. "When are we doing that..?"

"Tomorrow, we will leave tomorrow morning. Let's get back, the sun is starting to set." Nighthawk stood up and began to head back.

"Give me a ride and I'll reward you with some cinnamon rolls." Starshifter hummed with a small smile. Shadow rolled his eyes playfully before helping her up. After she was settled they began to head back. "I'm sorry about your friend.. I saw how close you two were."

"I'm going to miss him, a lot.." Shadow sighed deeply. "We really did just about everything together, went to every royal event, stuff like that.." He mumbled as he walked. "But Nighthawk is right. If we don't win, then his death means nothing. He was protecting me, just as he was ordered to do.. even to his final breath."

"He was a good dragon.." Starshifter rubbed his neck gently. "And so are you."

"Thanks.."

"Of course." She replied sweetly. Shadow turned his head back to her as they walked. He couldn't lose her too. It was immoral, but he knew what he had to do. As they walked he began to brainstorm a spell to protect her. By the time they had arrived the sun was down and it was night. Shadow and Starshifter went to his room since it was larger and more comfortable.

"Are you hungry? I can go get some food really quickly." Starshifter offered and climbed off his back. "I could hear your stomach on the way here." She teased. His snout wrinkled and he moved his head back, embarrassed.

"What-?" Shadow snorted. "You- hm..fine yes.." He placed a talon over his snout and she laughed before patting his arm.

"Be right back then."

"Alright.." It was quiet in the compound, hardly anyone was active and moving. Starhunter's bed just lie empty, still a little messy. The prince clenched his fists and sighed, still filled with pain and sorrow. "I'll see you again.." he muttered to himself. After grieving for a minute he went to his desk and took out a scroll and a jar of ink. Then he began to write.

'Protect Starshifter from all forms of harm and magic other than my own' He wrote. If he enchanted the scroll, it could get destroyed or damaged. He rolled it up and put it away, already knowing the words to the spell. When she came back into the room, he turned to her with a tiny smile. She was what he needed to enchant.