Chapter 6: Teasing

After four days of brainstorming and hard work, their project was complete. The map was spectacularly built. Sharpclaws had painted and detailed each piece of the model. Starhunter gathered the materials and shaped them. Mindwatcher did all the calculations and math behind everything. Shadow assembled each part and model for their map. This was a wonderful display of teamwork and friendship bounding together to create something beautiful. They had it done just in time for the competition.

"I can't believe it, this is so beautiful." Starhunter said. "Nice job with the paint, Sharpy."

"I wouldn't have been able to paint it if you didn't get the stuff!"

"Oh calm down boys, without my intellect we wouldn't have everything properly sized." Mindwatcher teased and grinned. "But really, I think we all did a great job. Right Shadow?" She smiled at him. The prince didn't respond. Currently he was just staring at the model, admiring it while spaced out. Their voices all sounded mumbly and quiet to him.

"Shadow?" Mindwatcher put a talon on his shoulder. "You okay?" She shook him slightly. This caused him to snap out of it and turn his head to her.

"What-? Yes. Yeah." Shadow said with a nodded. "I'm fine.."

"You uh, you spaced out there, big guy. Everything alright? You've been doing that a lot lately." Starhunter said calmly, walking to him before sitting.

"I uh- yes..I'm fine guys." Shadow said with a huff. "Don't worry about me." Nighthawk's request about Viper was stressing him out quite a bit. On the one talon he didn't want to let him down, and on the other he knew it was a dangerous, risky job. "Just hungry..."

"Okay, well let's go get some snacks!" Sharp said. "Tomorrow is the competition, and we are gonna kick swift's butt!"

"Yes, we certainly are." Starhunter grinned. "He doesn't stand a chance. I took a peek at his map and ugly doesn't even begin to describe it. His group kept fighting with each other, unlike us."

Shadow smiled as he listened to them. Swiftness was always rude to everyone he came across no matter how nice they were to him. He had learned this the hard way, when he offered to sit in the back of the class so everyone could see, and yet still swift decided to tease him about his size. He sighed and snorted. "Good, I hope he loses. All the times he's tormented everyone."

"You got that right. Definitely does not deserve first place, that's for sure." Starhunter said before walking with them outside the workshop. Shadow smiled as he grew back to his normal height. He looked down at his friends before lowering his head.

"There's our big Nightwing buddy." Sharp said before climbing onto him. Shadow got a little pat on the nose from Mindwatcher, making his tail sway slightly.

"Your face is adorable." She said sweetly. This made the prince blush a bit and cover his snout. Starhunter and Sharp laughed quielty as he and Mindwatcher exchanged looks. "Oh you're blushing..."

"I am not-" Shadow protested. "Hmph.." He leaned his head closer to her and received a hug on his snout. "You're lucky I like you.."

"I know I am." She grinned.

"Let's get some food. And stop teasing him because I don't want to deal with a hangry oversized lizard!" Starhunter teased. "You remember what happened last time?"

"Okay okay." Mindwatcher giggled and started walking. Shadow and the other two followed. The way she complimented him, rubbed his scales and her smile had always made him feel warm inside. Once they arrived in the kitchen, he sat with his friends while they waited.

"Is your uncle here today?"

"He should be." Shadow said. He turned to a servant and lowered his head. "Could you go find my uncle please? Tell him the usual for my friends and I."

"Certainly, your majesty." The servant nodded, then proceeded towards the kitchen. As they waited, he felt Mindwatcher rub up against his side slowly. The prince tilted his head a little bit.

"Uh.. what's uhm..whatcha doing?" Shadow moved back slightly, not used to the gesture. He knew she liked him more than a friend, and he felt the same way, however he wasn't sure how to go about it.

"Just giving you some friendly affection." She said soflty with a smile. "Something wrong?"

"No no- just wasn't expecting that. Not now anyway.." Shadow mumbled, gently rubbing the back of his neck.

"You have been awfully affectionate towards him lately. You two should go on a date!" Starhunter blurted.

"What-!?" Shadow squeaked, which was deep and rumbly. Mindwatcher's face reddened before she covered it with a giggle. The prince was a bit shocked, not sure how that respond to that.

"Aw come on, you guys obviously like each other." Starhunter grinned. His friend clearly enjoyed their reaction. Shadow huffed.

"I will sit on you." Shadow grumbled.

"You wouldn't dare." Starhunter snorted. But the prince did. He stood up and started moving towards Starhunter, who dove under the table and laughed. "You get away from me!" He yelled and giggled, hiding.

"I will flatten you!" Shadow laughed as he tried to swipe his claws at him under the table, making his friend hiss and crawl further back underneath it. "Come here!"

"You won't catch me!" Starhunter laughed. The prince lowered his head down to get a better view under the table. He saw his friend pressed flat to the ground, wiggling his way towards the other side. So he climbed over the table quickly before reaching down and grabbing him.

"Hah! I got you, you ready to get flattened?" Shadow grinned and lashed his tail.

"Oh please, your majesty. Bestow me the wonderful gift of mercy!" Starhunter pleaded dramatically while clasping his claws together. Shadow snorted and started laughing. He wasn't expecting that. The giant lowered his friend down and pat his head.

"Fine fine, you're soared. Today. Next time you won't be so lucky." Shadow said as he pat him a little. "But anyway..snacks, yes?"

"Yeah, that was entertaining to watch though." Mindwatcher giggled. "And.. Shadow, if you really want, I wouldn't mind that date.." She said sweetly. The prince froze. She did want to go, it seemed. He glanced down at her and took a deep breath, building up his confidence to ask her.

"..Okay.. The night after the competition, Sulu's Restaurant."

"That sounds lovely." She smiled.

"Then it's a date." Shadow said calmly. It was happening, he had a date.