Chapter 25: Basilisk

Shadow and Basilisk walked through the desert at night. The air was chilly and the prince felt tired. It was odd being next to a dragon around his size, but he didn't mind it. Basilisk turned with a goofy smile. Shadow could already tell he wasn't the brightest dragon, but he seemed friendly. Sometimes that was all that mattered.

"Soooo are you a prince? Because that would be super really cool." Basilisk smiled as he looked down at the Nightwing. Shadow looked up, meeting his eyes.

"Yes, well I guess I'm not now.." He sighed as his tail dragged in the sand behind him. Despite everything that had happened, he did miss his father. His old father, the one who wasn't trying to murder dragons important to him and his family. Unfortunately, as Viper had said Darkstalker was only looking after himself.

"Maybe once my dad beats your dad, you can go back and be a prince again!" Basilisk smiled. "I bet you would love that, right?"

"Hm.." Shadow mumbled with a sigh. "I just don't understand. We were really happy, our whole family. Then I refused to help in his plan, which made him go crazy. I don't know what he's doing, and I'm not sure if I want to."

"Maybe you should just relax and unwind for now?" Basilisk suggested. The two walked more before they came across an oasis. "This is the spot here! I love it, it's spectacular." He smiled before laying down in the sand. Shadow watched closely as Basilisk rolled around in the sand, scattering it everywhere. "You should try this!"

"Hm..no thanks- I don't want to get sand between my scales. It's hard to get out." Shadow huffed, remembering the times he's had to have sand dug out of his scales. He just walked to the water and sat down, thinking a bit. An odd feeling seemed to fill the air. "Why here?"

"It's calming!" Basilisk smiled. The giant sandwing sat beside him. Shadow stared at the reflection of the moons in the water, just thinking to himself. There were too many problems and not enough solutions. "What's wrong?"

"I miss my home.. my family, I don't know if my girlfriend is okay.. everything has just been turned upside down. If I go home my father will imprison me.. I'm scared.." He mumbled, looking up at him.

"Oh. Just go back then." Basilisk said with a shrug, as though he didn't really understand. Shadow really started to wonder why Viper sent them out here. "Well uh.. hey, want a coconut?" He offered, running to a tree and grabbing some. Shadow sighed deeply, hanging his head a bit.

"Lad.." A voice whispered from behind. Shadow turned and saw Nighthawk sitting in his shadow, staring at him.

"Nighthawk?" He whispered.

"Yeah, followed you out here. Need to talk to you. Just distract him or something, shouldn't be hard." Nighthawk said with a huff as he vanished behind some dunes.

"What was that?" Basilisk asked, tilting his head. "Did you find an animal?" His ears perked up and suddenly he looked very excited.

"No, no. Why? You hungry?" Shadow asked with a head tilt, a little confused.

"No they're just adorable sometimes." Basilisk smiled with a tail wag. The prince took note of this. "Some are real tasty though, like camels! Ever had a camel?"

"I have not." Shadow said with a shrug. "But perhaps if I stay here longer I can. It seems like I'm going to be anyway."

"Oooh yeah! You'll like it. They're filling, especially the whole thing." Basilisk smiled. Shadow had to admit, this dragon was a lot less intimidating when one got to know him. It seemed as though he was just a scare tactic for Viper to use against those he needed to. Despite being a large, scary dragon Basilisk was actually pretty nice and wholesome. Shadow liked this, and he already knew they'd be good friends.

"If you say so buddy. I'm gonna walk around for a bit, alone. Need to clear my head you know?" Shadow smiled and stood up. Basilisk nodded and sat, starting to eat the coconuts he gathered for them. Shadow proceeded to where Nighthawk was, which was hidden in some plants and bushes. He sat and looked for him. "Nighthawk?"

"Over here." Nighthawk said calmly. Shadow glanced to him and led down, tilting his head.

"What's up?"

"Viper is using you.." Nighthawk grumbled. "He wants Darkstalker's wealth, not that he deserves it. But neither does Viper." He huffed a bit.

"And you know this how?" Shadow asked, huffing slightly. He knew it was possible Viper could doublecross him, but as of right now that was all the help he had. The prince dug around in the sand slowly. "Have you heard anything from Sulu.?"

"No, but she will likely flee to the sea kingdom. We both agreed to do so in the event something happened and we had to flee. It's unfortunate but I know she'll make it. She is very resourceful, but anyway." Nighthawk paused for a moment. "Viper has always used anyone he can to get whatever he desires. That's how he achieved his wealth."

"I can see that.. but he seems genuine. So far he's done right by me. I know you two have a bad past, but if he can help us defeat my father I think he deserves a shot."

"Ha! You really don't get it. But fine, alright. Maybe you're right, but I have a feeling you're not." Nighthawk grumbled. Shadow glared at him before sighing a bit. He didn't have anything else to fall back on at the moment. Nighthawk walked close to him and hugged his arm. "It's gonna be alright. We'll sort it out."

"Hm.. I'm just worried about everyone."

"Me too. Your mother is my biggest concern.." Nighthawk sighed deeply before patting his shoulder. "Thanks for the warning by the way, about your father I mean."

"Of course Nighthawk. Bloodstrike called for her murder, and my father wanted to frame you."

"I figured as much. Never liked the bastard. I think Darkstalker might've hired him to do so, then he wanted to frame me because I opposed him." He shrugged. "Glad you are safe. Is Starhunter fine?"

"Yeah, he's okay. Look.." Shadow sighed deeply. "I know you hate Viper, but we really could use your help. Do it for me, do it for the tribe." He pleaded and looked down at him, hoping Nighthawk would say yes. The cloaked Nightwing was grinding his teeth at such a request, but eventually he let out a small grumble before nodding.

"Fine.. I'll work with Viper. But if he tries anything he dies."

"Alright alright.." Shadow sighed. "Anyway we should get back. Let's go." He got up and began to walk back to Basilisk. Perhaps there was hope yet, but in the meantime he needed to formulate a plan