Chapter 12: Darkstalker's Plan

One week later, Shadow sat with Darkstalker on a flat cliff overlooking the kingdom on one side, and overlooking Pyrrhia on the other. He still had yet to join the council, but tonight he hoped his father would grant him his title. The air was chilly and the breeze didn't help. Shadow turned to his father, who'd shrunken down to the size of his son so the mountain didn't collapse.

"Son, now that you're an adult. There was something I wanted to bring up with you. Something important." Darkstalker said soflty as he paced around in front of his son. The prince stayed quiet and tilted his head. "You are out of school, and you're an adult. Your skills have really impressed me, and I'm very proud of you. And now.." The King stopped in front of him and opened a wing towards the kingdom, then the other towards the continent. "Do you see this?" He asked.

"Yes.?" Shadow mumbled, now very confused at what his father was doing.

"This could all be ours." Darkstalker said. "The night kingdom, beyond our borders and even into the ice kingdom, possibly." He had a surprising amount of confidence and calmness despite what he just said. Shadow paused as he was shocked and slightly horrified.

"But...why? We can't, Father. This isn't right. It's not ours, and we haven't even grown enough to need more land." Shadow said calmly. There weren't many dragons who dared question Darkstalker, but Shadow was one of them.

"It's not about expanding. It's about helping everyone! And we could accomplish it, together. Father and son! In charge of the world!" Shadow paused. Despite how much he loved him, he knew that this plan couldn't happen. The prince shook his head.

"No, I'm not doing this." Shadow said softly. "We can't, it's not our right."

"I know you're not on board right now, but..." Darkstalker paced towards his son. "It's our destiny as the greatest, most powerful dragons alive." He said calmly and put a talon on his shoulder. There was a strange look in his eye, one that yearned for power and control. Shadow shook his head once again.

"No..." Shadow backed up. For the first time, he felt fearful of his father. "Why are you acting like this..?"

"Because I waited seven years for this moment. I was hoping you would have said yes. That is all I wanted, and that was all you had to say." Darkstalker growled slightly before taking a deep breath and trying to calm down as he closed his eyes. "But..I suppose- yes.. that's the one. Okay." His father had a talon on his forehead. "Hm. Nevermind."

"What?" Shadow asked, confused. "I'm not helping with this. I only want to serve my tribe."

"Is that what you really want?" Darkstalker asked, looking at him with a softer expression.

"Yes.." Shadow mumbled. "I can't do this. I'm..I need to find someone." He sighed and backed up more.

"Son.. just think about it. It might not be so bad." Darkstalker smiled slyly. He knew that look. It was the one he used when he tried to convince others, especially council members to do whatever he said. Shadow sighed and turned before flying off. He went directly to Nighthawk. The thought of taking over the continent made him sick. After about ten minutes of flying, the prince landed outside Nighthawk's new and finished cabin. It was a beautiful wooden structure. Several lanterns were lit throughout the structure. He spotted his friend inside the lounge room.

"Nighthawk!" Shadow called. If there was anyone he could talk to about his father, it was Nighthawk. He was sensible. The Nightwing always tried to see both sides of the conflict, as well as the positives and negatives. His advice had helped the prince many times throughout his life.

"Shadow?" Nighthawk asked as he walked out the grand wooden door. Adorning his cloak as usual, he was a little harder to see than most Nightwings in the dark. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"My father asked me to take over the world with him. I think I angered him because I said no." Shadow winced. He was starting to feel the distress now. An angry Darkstalker often never held back, but hopefully he wouldn't be as harsh on Shadow due to him being his son. His ears flopped down and he lowered his head. "We need to convince him not to.."

"Oh wow.." Nighthawk paused. "His plan doesn't surprise me. What does, is him asking you to help." The cloaked nightwing put a talon on his chin as he thought. "Fine. I'll talk to him, I'd prefer you to be there too. Perhaps even your mother as well. He trusts me, and he'll listen to her. I hope."

"Please.." Shadow sighed, looking at him hopefully. "It's not our right to do that."

"You're absolutely right lad. He should listen to us, especially since we're both on his royal council." Nighthawk said. "Not to mention the other tribes would surely try to destroy us. It's a horrible idea. Your father is a good dragon, but his ambitions often overpower his goodness. When we all meet up, I'll do what I can to convince him." He said with a nod. "I got your back."

"Thank you Nighthawk. I appreciate it." Shadow smiled. "I knew you were sensible."

"It's not just that, I've been in a war. I've seen enough violence and death to know that we can't have another one. Not again, not like that. I fear that if he tries to take over, another great war will break out. I'm glad you told me about this. We can still convince him not to. You should head home and rest, it's almost morning." It hadn't occured to him that the sun was rising. He did feel quite tired. The prince nodded and stood.

"Goodnight, see you tomorrow?"

"Of course. Take care lad." Nighthawk waved before walking inside and locking his door. Shadow spread his wings and began to head to the palace. Darkstalker's opinion could be swayed, but they had to act fast. Otherwise, Pyrrhia would be doomed.