Chapter 40: Turtle

"What!?" Shadow gasped. Everyone sat there and just stared at Turtle and Kinkajou. The prince noticed that Turtle was unharmed, but they both looked exhausted and scared. If Darkstalker was in the rainforest, it was likely for the Queen Glory's Nightwings. With a small sigh, Shadow led down and glanced at the water.

"Sulu, can you go after the queen please?"

"Of course. Be right back, you two can head inside and help yourself to anything you need." Sulu turned to the couple and they nodded. Shadow led them towards the manor, tucking his wings close.

"I just want you two to know that I'm not working with him.." He mumbled quietly.

"Oh I figured that out." Kinkajou stated. "Kinda sad how even his son doesn't wanna work with him." That was true, but Shadow flinched a little with a sigh. "But that's a good thing! Because now we have another animus to fight back!"

"That's right. You're doing the right thing." Turtle walked beside him. "I don't believe we've met before, have we?"

"You're Turtle, yes?" Shadow asked as he lowered his head to him. The small seawing moved back a tiny bit with a nod.

"That's me.." Turtle smiled and continued walking. "You said mother was here?"

"She just left." Shadow said. Eventually they reached the door and Lobster opened it up for them. They went inside and sat in the living room.

"Good morning your majesty." Lobster said politely with a slight bow. "Been a hot minute since I seen you two. How ya been?"

"We've been fine, mostly. At least until the rainforest was attacked.." Kinkajou sighed. "Darkstalker captured Glory-"

"He what- what else happened? Who else did he capture or hurt?"

"Moon.." Kinkajou frowned and crossed her arms. "Glory told us to find Queen Coral, so we came here."

"And the sooner we see her, the better." Turtle added. Shadow glanced over and watched Lobster go get drinks for everyone. Two pitchers containing juice or water were brought out and set on a table. Shadow took the pitcher and downed it quickly. It was like a small drinking glass to him. With a snort, Lobster took the pitcher and went to refil it.

"Well then.." Shadow glanced at the two. "I'm sure Sulu will be back any minute.. what was he doing? Did he do any spells? Or kill anyone?"

"A few Rainwings were killed! How could you kill a rainwing? I know they attacked him, but he attacked first." Kinkajou huffed with a small growl. A few waves of red ripped through her scales and Turtle put a talon over hers to comfort her.

"He attacked the sand kingdom too.. well not him. His army, and his general. Bloodstrike.. I killed him, but-" He thought about mentioning his friend Starhunter, but he felt it wasn't appropriate.

"The sand kingdom? Did you happen to see Qibli at all?" Kinkajou asked. Shadow nodded before he explained everything that happened during the battle. In addition he told them about Thorn offering to help.

"Everyone was okay.." He said with a small wince. That wasn't true at all, because his closest friend was dead. "And now.. I guess I just need to stop Darkstalker.. I never thought I'd have to fight my own father, but here we are.. Coral won't help though, she said it was too dangerous and her tribe doesn't want another war."

"That makes sense. The war was pretty hard for everyone." Turtle glanced at him. "I saw many dragonets who'd learned they'd lost one or both parents, it was awful.. I even lost my father to the war.."

"And we will lost much more of we don't stop Darkstalker." Lobster walked back into the living room with a tray of baked crab cakes. "Crab cake? They're wicked good. Flavorful."

"Uh, sure.." Shadow glanced at them and took one. He hardly ever ate seafood, but he was willing to try new dishes and meals. The other two grabbed one as well. Turtle went first, quickly eating before grabbing another. Shadow tried his, and he loved it. "Oh wow."

"Pretty good, right?" Lobster grinned. "Help yourselves- wait, no. Sulu is back with the queen." He glanced out the window. "And Tempest, no sign of Nighthawk. Let's go outside." The four went outside to greet Coral again. Turtle rushed up to his mother and the two hugged.

"Hello mother.." He smiled soflty. As Shadow watched them he was reminded of his own mother. A wave of fear washed over him as he pondered the horrors Darkstalker could be doing.

"Son.." Coral smiled back. "So the rainforest is under attack?" She asked with a bit of a nervous look on her face. "Darkstalker really is trying to take over.. moons.."

"Yeah, it's bad." Kinkajou said. "We need help. I know you said you wouldn't, but is there anything you can do?"

"I can't send my army, but I suppose I can add more patrols around the kingdom." Coral sat up with a deep sigh. "I really didn't want to have to bring them into this.. Do you have a plan to defeat Darkstalker?"

"I'm working on it.. but I will not let him take your kingdom too." Shadow said confidently. He had no clue how to stop Darkstalker, but he was going to try. Giving up wasn't an option. With a nod, Coral stood up and turned towards the harbor.

"I'm going to be in town for a while. I'd like it if you came with me, Turtle. I need to know every detail."

"Of course mother." Turtle smiled. They hugged again before leaving, but he did thank Shadow for his help.  The large Nightwing watched the others fly off, then he turned to Kinkajou who was still there.

"You don't have a plan do you?" She asked with a slight grin.

"Not really- but-"

"Don't worry! I have a perfect plan. Something he won't see coming, maybe. Remember his scroll?"

"Yeah? What about it?"

"I still have a few pieces locked away. And if Darkstalker hasn't found them we can use them to beat him."