Chapter 32: Comfort

Hours later and the sandstorm had finally passed. Shadowstalker and Starshifter went back to the compound. He let her ride on his back so she could relax and rest a bit, and so they could return faster. She'd also mentioned how fun it was when he flew out of the sandstorm. Now the two sat outside, both just staring at the stars.

"Today was fun.." Starshifter purred at him, rubbing his shoulder gently.

"If you say so. I mean we almost died, I got stabbed, you learned you had a father.. very fun." Shadow said sarcastically with a huff. "But..yeah, it was nice spending time with you.." He rolled slowly and glanced into her eyes. He felt her reach up and trace down his snout with her claw, so he held still and let her.

"I didn't know princes could be so adorable and sweet, but I love it." She flirted. Shadow tilted his head, for he was a little confused.

"I uh..I don't understand-" He mumbled nervously. He still wasn't quite used to being flirted with.

"I'm just teasing.." Starshifter smiled. "But you really are adorable. Not what you'd expect from a prince. Very different, I like it."

"I see.." Shadow rumbled and rolled onto his back. He just watched the stars and sky, thinking about everything and everyone back home. His ears flicked and he turned. Someone was approaching, it was Nighthawk. "Nighthawk?"

"..Ello." Nighthawk's voice was quieter and a little lower. He had his hood covering most of his face. "Glad you two are safe.." He sighed. Starshifter glanced up at him and then at Nighthawk. The two stared at each other. "Starshifter?"

"What?" She spat, seeming a little irritated.

"I'd like to formally introduce myself to my daughter.." Nighthawk responded, but she just shook her head and crossed her arms.

"My father, right. Just because you are, doesn't mean I care." She said coldly before turning and looking away from him. "You hurt my mother."

"Right.. but this isn't fair to either of us and you know it. We both didn't know about this until this morning. How do you think I feel? Learning I had a daughter that I never got to see hatch, or see her take her first steps.. or her first words?" Nighthawk seemed sad. Shadow felt bad. He knew he'd had a hard life and this was just another bump in the road for his friend. Starshifter wiped her eyes slowly before looking down.

"Why didn't she tell me..?"

"Because she hates me. She hates anything to do with me, despite me saving her life several times.." Nighthawk grumbled. He walked to her and she turned, both staying quiet. "You have my eyes, hah.."

"I did always wonder where I got them from.." She said quielty.

"They're quite pretty. On her, not you." Shadow said to Nighthawk with a small chuckle. The cloaked Nightwing shot him a glare with his arms crossed. "What?"

"That's my daughter."

"And?"

"Don't."

"Don't what?"

"Be all flirty.." Nighthawk huffed a bit. "It's weird."

"It is not weird!" Shadow replied and lowered his head to him. He figured it was probably best not to mention the kiss they shared already. "And besides, she's a grown adult, she can make her own decisions."

"That's right! I agree with the big handsome prince." Starshifter said with a grin, which caught Shadow off guard, so he sat there with his jaw dropped slightly.

"What-?" The giant mumbled.

"Not in front of me please, bleh.." Nighthawk scoffed. "Gross, the lot of you.."

"You have a funny accent." Starshifter teased with a grin. "When I heard stories and rumors about you, I didn't think you'd have this silly accent. The big, infamous and scary Nighthawk."

"Hmph." Nighthawk crossed his arms and put a talon over his forehead. "Is that what they're calling me? Hah.. whatever.. look." He turned to his daughter and reached for her talon, but she flinched and moved back. Shadow noticed she was a little anxious, so he gently nudged her with his wing and wrapped his tail around her. "No?"

"Not yet- I'm sorry.. I'm still sort of in shock about all of this." She glanced up. Her warm scales pressed against the prince's side as she leaned on him.

"It's fine.. I understand." Nighthawk sighed. "But ah.. if you ever need anything from me, let me know and I'll do whatever I can."

"Of course.." Starshifter said calmly with a tiny smile, rubbing her face into Shadow's scales. "So soft, warm.."

"I'm gonna head to bed. You two oughta as well. More training in the morning." Nighthawk said as he stood. He then fixed his cloak and began to head inside. "Goodnight."

"Night.." Shadow let out a low rumble to him. He looked down and saw Starshifter rubbing her face into his soft scales some more, which made him chuckle. "Comfy?"

"You are so warm! I love it, and.." Shadow's eyes widened when he watched her place her talons on his stomach. "It's like dough." She started to knead and massage his scales. The prince started laughing, but he didn't stop since he couldn't say no to a good massage. He reached down and put a talon against her back, hugging her a little.

"As comfy as this is, I am rather tired.."

"I understand. Would you like to stay in my room tonight?" Starshifter asked with a small smile.

"Counter question, is it big enough?" He joked.

Starshifter chuckled. "Yes, I think so." She smiled and turned. "Follow me." The two went towards the barracks, which is where he'd been staying. Once they arrived she unlocked her door and entered. "You should fit."

"Are you sure.?" Shadow rumbled nervously. As he lowered his head down he saw the door wasn't as small as he'd thought, but it would still be a tight fit. She gave a nod and pat his nose. He relaxed his shoulders and huddled into himself as much as possible before trying to wiggle his way into her room. After about a minute he'd made his way inside. Everything was clean and orderly. "Wow.. nice and clean. Looks great." He complimented.

"Thank you.. glad you made it in." She hummed. "Let's get some sleep."

"Of course." Shadow led down on her rug carefully and curled up a little bit before resting his head on a large rolled up blanket. He felt her move and cuddle up to his belly and chest, which he didn't mind. "Cozy?"

"You bet.. you're like a big pillow. I love it." They smiled at each other for a long quiet moment. Eventually he wrapped his arm and wing over her, both keeping each other warm as they rested. He was comfy and happy as he drifted off into sleep