x

I was so excited to see Ash again. It's been five months since we last saw each other. I'm now six months pregnant. Nobody in town apart from those that work at the clinic know because of my doctor's appointments. Turns out I'm having a little baby girl and I'm so excited.

I went into the station and I found Ash having a chat with another woman.
Immediately we saw each other and we ran into each other's arms.

"Oh my goodness I can feel your bump",she squealed in excitement.

" I've missed you so much", I said and hugged her again.

" I missed you too baby",she said and kissed my cheek.

We chatted and caught up all the way home with her warning me about how dangerous it is to drive while pregnant. We arrived home and my grandmother was excited to meet Ash for the first time. They have spoken many times but I've never met before and Polly and Ash hit it off immediately after they met.
She managed to divorce Richard, even though she was a little sad about it ,she has been happy ever since.
I didn't even get to sit down and enjoy the conversation everyone was having as we shelled peas in the kitchen when I was called to the police station to give my statement to the DA about Bernard,so I quickly said goodbye to all of them and left.

Bernard was going to jail for all the bribes he's taken but may spend more time in a psychiatric hospital because he is showing signs of mental illness.
She showed me pictures she had of me over the past years, pictures of me in my room and me changing some included pictures of me showering as well. He is indeed sick in the head.
I gave my statement and will have to testify at some point when the trail date is set. There were many people that stepped forward and wanted to give their statements.I was glad I was not alone and that people were finally stepping forward.

As soon as we pulled through the driveway I sensed something was wrong,so I grabbed a crowbar and stalked to the door, opening the slightly ajar door. I walked only to find my grandmother gagged and her hands tied on her favorite chair.

She had a terrified expression as she kept shaking her head.

"Nana",I yelled and just as I was about to run to her someone stuck their leg and tripped me.

"Look what we have here",a voice laughed
"If it isn't Little Miss nosy". I looked up and saw Richard and Parker Vicky's husband.

"What the fuck are you doing in my house!", I snapped and sat up.

" You have more mouth on you,you just don't want to keep quiet", Richard says and grabs me by the hair. " Always sticking your nose in other people's business", he says and slaps me across the face.

" If you don't withdraw the statement against Bernard,The windows are not the only thing we'll be breaking, understand?", He warned looking into my eyes then dropping his gaze to my lips and ending on my chest.
I just got back from testifying against Bernard, after I reported him an investigation was launched and we got a new Sheriff even though the local court magistrate got changed .They left after breaking more of our stuff.

"Where's Polly?", I ask as I untie my grandmother,she comes by to help out while I'm at work.

" Some men he came with dragged them away ",,she says and i grab the phone to call the sheriff's office.

"Don't worry Ms Bryce we will find your friend and her son", Jackson the new Sheriff assured me through the phone,he was a lovely 55 year old and his wife and daughter are the sweetest souls.

The paramedics came and checked up on my grandmother while we waited for any news.

Finally I got the call that Polly was found beaten and locked in the basement of his pub.

Ash,my grandmother and I immediately rushed to the hospital.

"She was immediately rushed to the ER", Jackson said as soon as he saw us.

" How is she?", I asked.

" She doesn't look good",he said and took off his Sheriff's hat.

"What about Richard?",

"We are getting his arrest warrant ready",

" I'll need to speak to you and your grandmother if you don't mind",he continues but I don't hear him and rush out if there.

"Bird!", Ash called after me.
But I ignored her and got into the truck.I drove in the direction of Vicky's house. I knew that's the place he would likely be hiding .

I saw his mustang packed outside and took the bat out of my truck.

"What are you doing!", Vicky asked as she walked out of her house.

But I went straight for the car, raising the bat in the air and bringing it down onto the windows, shattering them.

"You're crazy what the hell are you doing!",

I moved to the next window and the door burst open and Richard ran out.

"You crazy bitch! What do you think you're doing!",he said, grabbing the bat from me.

With all the strength I could master I raised my fist and hit Richard in the face.

"You Bitch!"He cursed, holding his nose that was now broken.

"What! What! Are you going to do you bastard! Hit me?! Go ahead! Do it! Asshole!",I yelled, ignoring the intense pain in my hand.
Sirens cut through the air and I knew the police were on their way.

"We have to go , Richard", Vicky's husband who stood on the porch said.
I took advantage of Richard's distraction and grabbed the bat from him , hitting him in the knee with it.

"You're not going anywhere!", I screamed at him as he groaned in pain on the ground. In seconds the police cars arrived and they blocked the driveway.
The police came and came in between the two of us and the other officers handcuffed him while reading him his rights.

"He has violated the restraining order and is facing charges of assault,you don't have to worry Ms Bryce I'll make sure a scumbag like him pays for everything and I hope Ms Hilton gets better", Jackson said.

I drove back to the hospital "where did you go Bird my god I was worried about you", Ash says as soon as she sees me " And what happened to your hand?",

We waited all night. Polly had head forced trauma and had a brain hemorrhage ,she was in critical condition and the doctors didn't know if she was going to make it.
I didn't know what to do. I blamed myself for everything. Maybe I shouldn't have come back.

"She will pull through. I don't know her very well but she's a fighter",Ash reassured me.

" Maybe all this is my fault", I sniffed, holding back the tears that threatened to fall.

"No it's not your fault she didn't deserve to stay in an abusive relationship,you only offered your help don't blame yourself I'm sure she wouldn't blame you too",my grandmother says she stubbornly refused to go back home.

I walked to her and touched Caleb's head who was asleep in her lap. Polly has to be okay,she just has to for Caleb.

We continued waiting when nurses and doctors started rushing into the ICU.

''What's happening?"I asked but the nurses rushed past me without saying anything. Seeing how desperate I was, Jackson grabbed one of the nurses and finally managed to get what was happening from her.

"The patient is having seizures",she said and rushed away.

" No please no",I sobbed as I looked through the glass as many medical personnel circled around Polly.

"You have to calm down Ms Bryce", Jackson said trying to calm me.
But how could I when I watched my friend fighting for her life.
I saw as their expressions changed and the doctors exchanged looks,they didn't have to say it. The machine recording her heart rate went flat ,Polly,she was dead,my friend was dead.

"We're sorry Ms Bryce",the doctor said but I just stayed blankly at where she lay,his apology meant nothing to me it was worthless.
I didn't say anything even when Ash called out to me,my knees gave out and all I saw was the worry on Ash's face .