xiv

I didn't feel like going to work so I decided to do some cleaning around the house.
"You came home really late last night", my grandmother said looking at the new bottles of medicine I put on her dresser.

" Yeah I had an extra job", I say and smile. I helped her take a shower and took her out to the garden.I haven't had time to clear the weeds that have overgrown.

"You don't have to bother buying me more medicine, it's just a waste of money plus I'm going to die soon", she says looking at her garden longingly.

" Don't say that,what am I to do without you,Nana?", I say and kiss her forehead.

" I've lived long enough",

" Where is this coming from? ",

" I'm just tired of the pain mostly",she sighs.
I know she's in pain , but I am selfish and I want her with me. I'll work hard and I'll buy her all the medicine she needs. She's all I've had .

I continued cleaning and before I knew it was time to pick Merce and Caleb. I took grandma inside because it was getting windy outside and turned on the TV for her.

Merce has ballet recitals and Caleb usually waits for her after his football practice. The school and the ballet class are a street from each other and she walks there with some of her friends taking the class as well. It will be devastating for Merce when I tell her she'll have to stop ballet because we can't afford it but I can still reach her whenever I find time and off work.

"Mummy!"They ran to me as soon as they saw me. "Ms Felly wants to speak to you",Merce said, pulling on my hand.
I hope it's not for the balance remaining of Merce's fees.

"It's good to see you Ms Bryce",she said and smiled leading us to her office.
We recently had directors from a well renowned dance studio in London,they are sponsoring a musical play and came to scout out some talents from our studio",she excitedly said " Merce was shortlisted,this is a great opportunity Ms Bryce,she will get life long sponsorship,it's a wonderful opportunity for a talented girl like Mercedes to cultivate her talent",she says and hands me some papers.

I looked at my gleeful daughter sitting next to me and I knew she was very happy. It was a wonderful opportunity but we can't afford that right now,plus this studio is all the way in London. I don't have the money to move the entire family besides London is the city I never want to step foot in.
She saw the hesitation on my face and Ms Felly smiled sadly "Bird I know you've got talent just because it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it will be the same with Merce. She has amazing talent that I've only seen in you . This is an opportunity of a lifetime not only will the money come in handy but this is a promise of a bright future for Merce".

" I'll think about it and get back to you",I swallow hard trying to calm my ferrous beating heart when my eyes fall on the sponsor of this is Lenduché studios.

"We're moving to London Caleb!", She excitedly said as soon as we got into the car. Caleb looked pretty excited too,they both have never been anywhere apart from our little village.

Lenduché, London these names kept spinning in my head and the excited chirping of Merce didn't help to calm me down at all.

"Merce!", I called but she kept talking and talking.
" Merce, please keep quiet!"I yelled and slammed on the brakes. She pouted and stayed quiet while sniffing the whole way home.

She ran into her room and slammed the door shut ignoring my grandmother that called for her. I was so nervous and frustrated that I went to the cabinet in my bathroom and reached for my pills to calm myself. My therapist said I'll have to stop taking them because I didn't want to get rid of my anxiety. I don't know how I'll cope without them but I don't want to develop a dependency lest I ruin my life and that of my kids.

"What happened?", She asked and I handed the papers to her. She put on her prescription glasses and began reading through the paperwork.

"You don't plan not to sign,do you?", She asked after she finished.

" We can't, grandmother. We can't afford to move to London. Not only are the home expenses we have put into consideration your health as well", I say and lay my head on her lap.

" You don't have to worry about my old bones,I can take care of myself ", she says, rubbing my head gently. " Are you sure there is no other reason?".

" Oh Nana I don't know what to do",I sobbed.

" It's important to think of what is best for Merce ,what she wants",she said, wiping my face. " This is amazing news and we will have to celebrate. Since today is Friday,how about taking the kids to Sandy's Diner for some burgers", she said,
I gave her a kiss on the forehead and walked to Merce and Caleb's room.
Caleb answered the door and I walked to Merce who was hiding in her blanket.

"Merce?", I called but she didn't answer and stayed still.

"I'm sorry about what happened in the car and you will be in the musical if that's what you really want", I say and she likes her head out of the blanket. "But we will have to move away which means we will leave your school and friends behind",I say and rub her head.

" Really?", She excitedly asked.

"Yes", I said and smiled.

"Did you hear that Caleb? We're going to London!", She screamed and started jumping up and down on the bed.

"Yeyy!", Caleb screamed as well and threw himself in my arms.
I got them changed and we all went to Sandy's to have dinner.