xi

When I woke up I was in a hospital bed and Ash was asleep next to me,she looked uncomfortable as she lay on the chair in the room.

I took out the IV and my rustling woke her up.

"Ash how's Polly,is she alright?", I asked , though I didn't know why I asked , nothing was making sense and my mind was in shambles. I hoped it was all a dream.

"Bird, Polly's dead",she said sadly.

"No! Ash that can't be true! Tell me it's all a lie!",

" I'm sorry",she said. And I broke down sobbing,I wailed so loud the nurse came rushing in,it was an unimaginable pain, I grew up with her,she was like a sibling to me since we were children and now she is gone just like that.
Two more nurses came in and they held me down as I was sedated.
It's all my fault, she's dead now and I'm the cause of it.
When u woke up again my grandmother and Jackson were in the room,I didn't go crazy like the first time I woke so I just subbed silently.

"The doctor said you have to take care of yourself",My grandmother said as she sobbed.

" What will now happen to that son of bitch?", I asked.

" This is no longer a case of physical assual but that of murder,he will be out away for a very long time", Jackson said.

I want to kill him ,he doesn't deserve to breathe while Polly is gone,I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his life.

I don't know if her mother has been notified but I will take on the responsibility of arranging her funeral.

Polly was the sweetest person I knew. She was nice to everyone and had a big heart,a heart so big and pure that she could live a scumbag like Richard and forgive him each time he hurt her. The whole town attended her funeral.

I stood there expressionless looking at the now covered ground under which she lay. It was sunny and warm and I felt like the universe was mocking my grief. My arrival back here triggered a series of so many events that I feel it is my fault she is dead.

When we went back to the house,many people came to pay their respects and send their condolences.

Ash walked in with a lady behind her ,I recognized her ,she was Polly's lawyer.

"Ms Bryce may I have a word with you",she said and I excused myself from the people that came to console me.

"This is Ms Hoods' last will and testament",she said, handing me an envelope.
" She left Caleb in your care", she says.

"No way my grandson is coming with me!", A voice interrupted us. It was Francis, Richard's mother.,I remember her because she came to make a scene, hailing insults when she found out Polly was going to divorce Richard and got a restraining order against him.

"Ms Hoods got a restraining order against you and due to you many misademors and warrants, including your participation in bribing the former Sheriff the courts have deemed you unfit to take care of Caleb",she says handing her another paper.

" Bullshit!"she screamed and ripped the paper into pieces.

"That's no problem, I have more copies",the lawyer said.

Francis looked like she was about to cause a scene again but Ash held her by the arm and smiled sinisterly raising her eyebrow. "You've overstayed your welcome Francis",she warned and escorted her out.
I thanked the lawyer and walked her to the door,it seems I had to get a restraining order against Francis as well.

After everyone had gone and I finally managed to put Caleb to sleep I opened her will.
She left Caleb in my care andthe house for her son and a small sum of money in her bank account,the pub was also left in Caleb's name.

The envelope also contained a letter addressed to me.

"I don't wish to die before seeing my son grow up but this life is full of uncertainties and in case something does happen to me , please take care of Caleb,I know that you're the only person that will love and raise him as your own Bird.
I'm glad you came back. You've helped me so much and taught me that I didn't need to fight alone,I want to thank you for that. I'm very grateful. You took me out of my shell and I found strength that I never knew I had in me.
Tell Nana not to cry too much for me,it will break my heart.
Take care of yourself and someday I hope you and the father of your child work out your differences because I know how much you still love him from how you speak about him.
I leave my precious son in your care and hope you love him like a mother since he is yours now. Thank you and I love you.

Yours Preciously
Polly Hoods".