Chapter 5: To Ryonan

Sakuragi still couldn't make a single basic shot

       Sakuragi still couldn't make a single basic shot. Mirai is patient about it but his complaints are slowly getting on her nerves. He even called it a 'commoner's shot' because all the shots that it's not a dunk, he called it like that.

Akagi asked her brother once again to demonstrate the lay-up shot but Sakuragi kept on sabotaging him by throwing balls toward him. When Rukawa had enough of Sakuragi's idiotic schemes, he threw a ball at the redhead as a payback.

Mirai sighed tiredly and thought, "These two will be the death of me."

Sakuragi apologized to Rukawa and asked him to do the shot once again for demonstration. Rukawa accepted it by doing the lay-up shot once again but as expected, the apology didn't mean to Sakuragi as he threw the balls to Rukawa.

Mirai knew that her brother wouldn't let the redhead get away and will stoop down to his level so they began fighting by throwing balls at each other and even the cart that contained the balls itself.

Akagi had enough of them and they received a harsh scolding (smack on the head) from the basketball captain while Mirai sat down beside Coach Anzai sipping tea and letting out a relaxing sigh.

-----

     "Isn't that great? You already did it," Mirai told Sakuragi. The redhead told them that he did the so-called 'commoner's shot' with the help of Haruko earlier in the morning.

"He only did it once," Akagi argued.

"Yeah, but he still did it," Mirai grinned and patted Sakuragi on his chest. "Just don't forget the feeling when you do it."

"Don't forget?"

"Yeah."

"What does that mean?"

Mirai thought for a second until she got an idea. "The feeling of accomplishment, I guess."

"Huh?" Sakuragi tilted his head in confusion.

The girl sighed and shook her head. "In other words, keep on practicing."

----

     Tomorrow is Shohoku's first practice match with Ryonan. Mirai is monitoring the team's progress for their last day of practice.

She can see the improvement Sakuragi is doing and it made her smile.

"I guess, we're good to go," she said. The current strength of the team will be enough to match one of the strongest teams in the region.

It's already dark outside when the basketball team finished their practice.

"Be here tomorrow at 8:30 sharp, don't be late!" Akagi told the team and they all yelled a 'yes'.

Since Sakuragi's still suck at lay-ups, Mirai and Akagi had a talk and decided to teach Sakuragi something that he might be good at.