Chapter 29: Happy Birthday

            "We don't have to do this, you know," Mirai told the team as they entered a cheap restaurant a few blocks away from the hospital.

"What are you talking about, senpai?" Miyagi asked and smirked. "It's actually a good thing that it's also your birthday today so we can celebrate our win and spend the club funds!"

Ayako lightly smacked him on the head and sighed. "It's nothing like that, idiot."

Mirai sweatdropped at the two and breathed out. She felt someone touch her on the back and when she turned around, she saw Mitsui behind her.

"Let's sit," he said with a smile as he guided the girl to sit down with him.

The team had a nice meal with light-hearted conversations. Mirai smiled at them. She's grateful to have them by her side.

The girl turned to Mitsui who was talking to Kogure. When the male noticed her stare, he turned to her with a smile and placed a hand on her lap as a comforting gesture.

Mirai placed a hand on top of his as thanks. She turned to Ayako and the two girls initiate a conversation between them.

"By the way, senpai, what did Anzai-san give you earlier?" Ayako questioned. All heads turned to the two in curiosity.

"Right, I forgot about that," Mirai muttered and pulled out the small box in her bag.

"It kinda looks expensive, don't you think?" Kogure said as all of them looked at the box placed on the table.

"I hope not," the girl said and cringed. "I'll return it if it's expensive."

"Why would you do that, anebo?" Sakuragi asked. "They gave it to you!"

"Yeah, but it's a bit... embarrassing to have a gift from them," Mirai said as her face flushed.

"They helped me a lot. I should have given them a gift instead," Mirai thought to herself.

"How about opening it to find out?" her brother suggested. The girl just nodded and slowly opened the blue box.

"What is it?" Akagi curiously asked when they saw how Mirai looked at the content of the box in surprise.

"Oh, it's a pair of earrings," Mirai told them with a smile.

"What flower is that?" Mitsui asked about the design of the earrings.

"It's... chrysanthemums," the girl replied.

"Try it on, senpai!" Ayako excitedly said.

Mirai awkwardly laughed. "Oh, actually--"

"She hasn't had her ears pierced," Mitsui finished nonchalantly while drinking water. Mirai nodded for confirmation.