Chapter 22: The Other Side

Anna bid goodbye to Mirai and the Shohoku team after an hour of catching up with the team's assistant coach

         Anna bid goodbye to Mirai and the Shohoku team after an hour of catching up with the team's assistant coach. Mirai had a lot of fun talking to her as she got updates from her former team.

As soon as Anna left, the team called the day and they cleaned the gymnasium. Mirai and Mitsui walked home together hand-in-hand.

The girl hummed happily while they are walking and Mitsui noticed her good mood.

"So, Anna-san was the reason you got to Australia?" the male questioned.

Mirai glanced at him and nodded. "Yeah, she's the one who scouted me and helped me a lot when I was there."

The male let out a sigh. "You must've missed your former team, then."

"I do, but it was my choice to be here and quit the team," Mirai said and shrugged.

"But, it must've been a really good experience to get to play overseas," Mitsui said with a smile. "Heck, you even got famous throughout the world."

Mirai suddenly stopped walking and Mitsui halted as he was still holding her hand. The male frowned at the girl who is looking down and went silent.

Mitsui couldn't read her expression as her bangs covered half of her face.

"Mimi, what's wrong?" Mitsui asked in concern. "Did I say something wrong?"

Mirai quickly looked up at him and shook her head vigorously. "No, no! You didn't. It's just..."

"What is it?" Mitsui questioned.

Mirai sighed and looked down at her feet once again as she bit the bottom of her lip.

The raven-haired cupped both of her cheeks and raised her head to meet his gaze.

"You know, you can tell me anything, right?" Mitsui softly said. "But I'm not going to force you if you don't want to."

Mirai slowly nodded and smiled. "I know."

"Good."

"I'm going to tell you, though," Mirai said.

The raven-haired blinked in surprise and nodded. The girl pulled him at the park as they stopped right in front of it. She sat down on one of the benches and ushered Mitsui to sit down beside her.

The male held her hand as they both looked up at the cloudy sky in silence. Mirai let out a calming sigh.

"The truth is, I've had horrible experiences when I was playing overseas," Mirai began and the male immediately looked at her in surprise. "I mean, I became well-known in the sports  business, I was one of those players who stood out."

"At first, I feel really proud of myself and pleased since I did all the best I could to get there. But..." Mirai sighed and smiled at him when she felt Mitsui's hand squeezing hers for comfort.