Chapter 16: Don't want to be friends anymore

Kogure's words from earlier are still in Mirai's mind

      Kogure's words from earlier are still in Mirai's mind. Even until their basketball practice, she was deep in thought that Ayako have to nudge her on the side to get her back into reality.

"Are you okay, senpai?"

"Y-Yeah, sorry. I was thinking of something," she said and sheepishly laugh.

Ayako stared at the girl suspiciously but didn't say anything as the team gather around. Ayako handed her the results of the tournament.

"The finals will be here very soon!" Mirai began, facing the team. "Divison A's Kainan High scored 150 points in their victory. Division C's Ryonan High also won by a landslide! Division B's victor is us, Shohoku, and Division D's winner is Takezato."

"Facing the team in the round of strongest eight Kainan still scored 150 points?" Miyagi said in disbelief.

"But we also defeated Shoyo!" Sakuragi commented.

"Sakuragi-kun's right. The most important thing is that you have confidence. Without the desire for victory then we shouldn't be playing against Kainan. In the following days, mental factors will become enough to control the keys to basketball life," Coach Anzai told them.

"Does everybody want to win?" he asked.

"YES!" the team yelled.

"Very good! The first battle will be Kainan High," he finished.

That night, Mirai decided to walk home with Mitsui. The latter offered her of walking her home which she gladly accepted. She also thought that this can be the chance to talk to him about what Kogure said.

Mirai couldn't help but get nervous even though she can tell all things about herself to the raven-haired. He has been her only best friend for years and she told him a lot about herself. He probably knows every nook and cranny of her personality.

As for Mitsui, he does tell her a lot of things but they are the complete opposite back in middle school. He was an outgoing person and easy to talk to that's why people are drawn to him. On the other hand, Mirai was someone they get scared of just by looking at her piercing gaze.

"Hissa," she called causing Mitsui to stop walking as she did. They are standing on the sidewalk. Streetlights and lights in the vehicles that are passing by illuminated their faces.

"What's wrong?" he asked in concern.

"Do you really mean it?" Mirai blurted out.

"What?"

"I mean, do you really mean it when you said that you... still like me?" she finally questioned.

Mirai bit the bottom of her lip and looked away while waiting for his response. She can feel her heart beating loudly and her whole body lightly shaking from nervousness.