Chapter 26: Defeated

      The score is already 13-7 with Ryonan leading with six points. Taoka-sensei called for a time-out after Fukuda was completely blocked by Akagi. As expected the team's morale and determination were boosted because of Shohoku's captain.

"Just keep playing like this and we're good," Mirai said and glanced at Ryonan's team. "Sakuragi."

"Eh?"

"Keep an eye on Fukuda. Do your best to guard him, I mean," the girl told him. Sakuragi stared at her for a second then grinned widely.

"Of course!" he exclaimed.

The game continued and as soon as it was, Sakuragi failed to block Fukuda as the latter scored.

Mirai bit the bottom of her lip in frustration. She had a hunch earlier that Taoka-sensei called a time-out because of that certain player. She was right as Fukuda's determination rises once again.

The score became 19-12, Ryonan leading with seven points. Mirai noticed how Sakuragi became frustrated in guarding Fukuda as the latter easily got past him.

Mirai knew that Sakuragi lacked skill in defense. He's still new to this and all they taught him was for the offense. Ryonan really did good on them as Fukuda is their focus on offense while Sakuragi is marking him.

Sakuragi currently has the ball and Fukuda is marking him.

"Be careful!" Rukawa shouted as Sendoh also tried to block the redhead.

Fukuda swatted the ball from him and Sendoh caught it. He ran towards their basket with Sakuragi following behind. Sendoh passed it back to Fukuda and the latter attempted to dunk it into the basket even with Sakuragi trying to stop him.

The audience cheered as Fukuda did the slam dunk successfully. On the other hand, Mirai's eyes were so focused on the game that everyone may think she was angry.

There are only two minutes left in the first half and the score difference widens once again with Ryonan scoring 30 while Shohoku is behind with 18 points.

Mirai gasped in horror as she saw Sakuragi's forehead bleeding due to the fall earlier when he tried to stop Fukuda.

"Shit!" Mirai cursed and handed a towel to the redhead. She was so worried because it was bleeding a lot.

She made the boy sit down and Ayako pressed the towel on his forehead. Kogure replaced him in the game for a while.

Mirai then turned to the rest of the players.

"Hissa," she called and the five players glanced in her direction. She glanced at Miyagi and then pointed to Mitsui.

Miyagi quickly understood what she meant and nodded understandingly as they started to huddle up.