Chapter 10: Don't Lie to Yourself

"Isn't it about time you grow up, Mitsui?"

Mirai widened her eyes. She was right, then. Kogure knew something.

Sakuragi finally beat up Tetsuo and two of Mitsui's goons retreated but when they opened the door they were met with Akagi.

"Akagi," Mirai mumbled. The basketball captain immediately shut the door.

"There is a special practice going on inside," he lied to the teachers on the other side of the door.

"I'm responsible for everything, captain," Miyagi told him.

"Shut up, Miyagi."

The captain walked towards Mitsui and stopped in front of him.

"Mitsui," he called and Mirai realized that he knows him, too.

"They seem to know him." Mirai heard Sakuragi say.

The girl was shocked when Akagi slapped Mitsui.

"Mitsui used to be on the basketball team," Kogure said making Mirai glance in his direction.

"You're kidding, right?" Sakuragi said.

"Everyone from our grade knows Mitsui Hisashi from Takeshi Middle School," Kogure told them.

"Stop it, Kogure! Don't talk about the past!" Mitsui yelled and grabbed Kogure by his shirt. Sakuragi held Mitsui to pull him away from the third year.

Kogure told them how he was a star player in Takeshi Middle School and met him when they both handed in their applications for the basketball team. M

Mitsui's goal is the same as the team, to go to the national championship.

Mirai bowed her head and her bangs covered her eyes unable to see her expression.

"It was hard to imagine... that Mitsui would turn out like this," Kogure said.

Kogure told them how Mitsui became injured during his first year and pushed himself to a degree where he was unable to play for the tournament anymore.

"From that day on... Mitsui never returned here," Kogure finished.

"Are you done, Kogure?" Mitsui asked.

"We didn't know about it," one of his friends said.

"Micchi, you wanted to return to the basketball team, right..." Mitsui punched him in the gut before he could say anything.

He even shoved Kogure who tried to stop him.

"Your leg is healed, right? Come back and play with us again!" Kogure said but he was pushed again by Mitsui.

"Stop!" Mirai shouted and held his wrist. He pulled his arm away from her.

"Shut up! You didn't even know anything!" he shouted.