Chapter 32: Training Camp

    It was already summer break. While other students are enjoying the summer vacation, Shohoku's Basketball Team is practicing hard for the Inter-High that will occur after summer.

Mirai, who hates summer so much because of the humidity, braided her hair to keep it from sticking everywhere.

"Ugh," the girl groaned in annoyance as she patted her hair. "It's not behaving when it's summer."

She glanced at herself in the mirror in the girl's changing room. Even though it was already braided, some strands are still sticking out.

Ayako chuckled amusingly at the older girl, "Hang in there, senpai!"

Mirai let out a sigh and turned to their manager, "I don't have a choice. Though it's making me want to cut it short."

"Really? I think short hair suits you, too."

"Maybe. I haven't had short hair since middle school," Mirai shrugged as the two girls walked out of their changing room.

"How short was it?"

The older girl thought for a second and said, "Probably below the ear."

"That's too short!" Ayako gasped in shock. "But I want to see it on you."

Mirai laughed at her statement, shaking her head.

"We'll see if I get bored and annoyed at the humidity."

The practice started as soon as the players walked inside the gymnasium. Mirai focused on watching them practice while throwing comments for improvement here and there.

Coach Anzai approached her and Akagi.

"I want to say something about Sakuragi," the old man began. "Since we're having a training camp in Shizuoka, I want Sakuragi-kun to train individually."

"You mean he's not going to the camp?" Mirai queried.

Ten days only until the Inter-High happens and during those remaining days, the Shohoku team will go to a training camp along with other groups that qualified to enter Inter-High.

"Yes," Coach Anzai nodded. The captain and their assistant coach glanced at each other in confusion before turning to their coach.

"He's a fast learner. A novice like him can improve himself in ten days," the Coach explained.

After a few seconds, Akagi lightly bowed, "I understand."

On the other hand, Mirai nodded understandingly, "I get it, sensei. I think it's a good idea."

The Coach smiled at them, relieved that they agreed and saw his point.