Chapter 18: Run-and-Gun

Today's the match with Kainan

Mirai entered the gymnasium with Shohoku's team in front. The girl's having a conversation with Ayako about their status and the players of the opposing team.

"They're all elites," Ayako told her. "However, they don't have centers that have the height of Akagi-senpai or Uozumi-san from Ryonan."

"But they're all good?" Mirai asked.

Ayako nodded as they walked inside the changing room. "Yes, apparently."

"I see," the older girl replied.

"Mirai-kun." She turned to Coach Anzai when he called and immediately approached him.

"Yes, Coach?"

"There will be a lot of people in the game later," he said. "And a lot of reporters."

Mirai realized what he was trying to say and gave an assuring smile. "I'll be fine, Coach. I'm not the one who's playing, I can handle it."

Coach Anzai chuckled and nodded. "Alright."

The team stepped out of the court and started a warm-up. Mirai shifted her attention to the left when she saw Kainan entering the court. She cringed when the audience cheered loudly.

"This year, I, Nobunaga Kiyota, am on the team!" one of the Kainan players shouted.

Mirai watched him with a blank look. "Ah, they also have a Sakuragi."

Ayako chuckled beside her.

The two girls watched as Sakuragi and this Nobunaga guy stood beside each other.

Mirai raised a brow intriguingly as the Kainan rookie snatched the ball from their redhead.

"The hell are they doing?" she muttered.

Nobunaga dribbled really fast as if he were challenging Sakuragi. Mirai let out a tired sigh when her brother also joined in the commotion.

"Rukawa isn't the number one rookie," Nobunaga said as he pointed to the said male.

"Of course not!" Sakuragi said and took the ball and he began dribbling it fast.

Then they both pointed to Rukawa and said, "I won't lose to you!"

Of course, their captains gave them a smack on the head for their little scene. The two captains apologized for the first-years' behavior.

"Sakuragi-kun, when did you start playing basketball?" Kainan's Coach questioned.

"Why're you asking? Since high school started! Don't underestimate me!" the redhead answered and got pulled away from the Coach by Akagi.

Mirai watched them interact and caught Coach Takato's eyes staring at her.