Chapter 7: The Secret Weapon Steps Into The Court

Mirai watched Sakuragi do his warm-up and let out a tired sigh as he was doing it too much

     Mirai watched Sakuragi do his warm-up and let out a tired sigh as he was doing it too much. The girl stopped him as Ayako handed him a towel. 

"You don't have to do that much, you know," Mirai told him. 

"Yeah, you're going to tire yourself before you even get to play," Ayako added.

"Offense! Pushing!" Mirai glanced back at the game and saw Akagi and Uozomi have a little incident on the court. "White Number Four!"

Ryonan's captain accidentally elbowed Akagi and it became an offensive foul.

Mirai widened her eyes in surprise when they saw Shohoku's captain bleeding on the side of his head. 

"Referee calls for a timeout!*" 

"Ayako, go with Akagi," Mirai told the second-year who nodded. 

Before Akagi even left the gym to go to the infirmary, he turned to Sakuragi. "Did you warm up?"

"I did!" the redhead immediately said.

"Good, then you take my place," Akagi told him causing Sakuragi's surprise. 

"No problem!" Sakuragi told him after he recovered from the shock. 

Mirai smirked and nodded.  "There's only nine minutes left. The game is still going!"

Shohoku's assistant coach turned to the first-year redhead and smirked. "Good luck, Shohoku's Secret Weapon!" 

Finally, he stepped inside the court with the other players after the timeout. 

Mirai sighed but expected that the redhead would be nervous during the game. It was his first game, after all. 

Sakuragi got the ball and move his feet without dribbling the ball, earning a traveling* violation from the referee. 

Since he's marking Ryonan's captain to fill Akagi's role, he easily got passed by Uezomi by doing a simple feint. Sakuragi jumped too quickly to block him from shooting but Uezomi didn't shoot it. 

Thinking that it won't be worse than that, Sakuragi crashed into Uozomi making his nose bleed. 

Mirai let out a tired sigh, it was her first practice match with the team and it couldn't be more entertaining and tiring than ever. Luckily for her, Kaede kicked Sakuragi's butt (literally) and made him realize that he needs to stop fooling around if he really wants to play basketball. 

"Idiot, how long will you be playing around?" Rukawa Kaede told the redhead. 

The team took a break and huddled up on the bench. Since Akagi was not present, Mirai took the lead to increase the team's morale. 

She loudly clapped her hands to gain their attention. "There's still nine minutes left! We can't let them take the lead again! Tighten up your defenses and we have to keep the score difference until Akagi comes back, got that?!"