Chapter 27: Desperate

With Rukawa's free throw that successfully went in, Shohoku is now only down by one point

Mirai bit her bottom lip in nervousness when Ryonan's number five easily got past Sakuragi and passed the ball to Fukuda. 

Mitsui was marking Fukuda and the latter attempted to shoot as Mitsui tried to stop him. The referee blew the whistle and gave Mitsui a defensive foul. 

Mirai clicked her tongue in annoyance, Fukuda was good. If they give Mitsui a hard time, he will exhaust himself. Much worse is he will have five fouls and will have no choice but to step out of the game. 

The ball is currently in Shohoku and Rukawa got the ball. He quickly released it and shot the ball to the basket successfully. 

Mirai kept her proud smile hidden. Her brother is getting really good. She knew he wanted to play in America as they had talked about it back then. 

"This brat is doing great," Mirai thought to herself. However, she was worried that the rest of the team will have a hard time keeping up with her brother's pace. 

He was too hasty in the game and Akagi and the others were already tired. They might have a hard time synchronizing their gameplay, especially Miyagi as he's their point guard.

Sendoh got the ball this time and surprised everyone when he did Rukawa's move from earlier as he shot the ball. Surely, the younger male was pissed because to him, Sendoh was basically telling him that what he can do, he can do it also. 

Rukawa had the ball and Sendoh pushed it away from his hands. 

"Foul!" Kogure said but the referee gave a thumbs up, telling them that it was not a foul.

"That was definitely a foul!" the team watching at the bench exclaimed. 

Uekusa, Ryonan's number eight, got the ball this time but Miyagi quickly snatched the ball from him and shot the ball into the basket. The score is now 36-35 with Ryonan still leading with one point. 

Both of the teams are having a hard time scoring since their defenses are both solid and players are working hard to stop each other.

Sendoh tried to shoot the ball and it went in. However, the thirty-second time was up and it didn't count. For three minutes, nobody let the other gain points.

Until Sendoh went for the basket and the ball got in successfully earning them two points in the game.

"That shot..." Kogure began. "We lost to that technique in the practice match."

Mirai nodded. She remembered how Sendoh switched the ball on his other hand to shoot it.

The girl then noticed her brother standing at the three-point line and shot the ball. Mirai released a tired sigh with a smile as the ball went in, earning them three points.