Chapter 3 - Rejected by my mate

When I wake up, I realize I'm in the infirmary. It's a small clinic we have besides the hospital. It's mostly for small injuries—things that can be solved easily. As I try to sit up, I groan slightly, my head is absolutely killing me.

"Mia," I hear Clara's voice before I see her. She moves into my eyesight, her gaze glancing at me up and down.

"What happened?" I ask in a daze.

"Olive kicked you pretty hard. You've been knocked out all night and most of today."

"Did she win?" I grumble.

"No," Clara smirks. "She made it to the semi-finals but lost."

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed. With my head feeling like absolute shit, I'm kind of glad she didn't win. But if she had won, it would have at least made me look a bit better—losing against a champion is less embarrassing in our pack. If anything, it shows courage that I fought her.

"Who beat her?" I ask.

Clara smiles, "Me silly. She hurt my best friend."

My eyes widen, "You made it to the semi's?"

"Yeah," Clara sighs. "But I lost the next round to that bitch, Emery."

That's the moment I realize Clara's bruised arms and neck. Her injuries are already fading away so they're very light on her skin. Somehow, she managed to avoid the damage to her face or it's already healed by now. Whereas I'm sure my eye is totally black. I can see out of it but it's lowly throbbing. I can taste blood on my lip but figure that if my lip was busted it's already healed.

Suddenly, my heart starts beating faster. "Clara," I tell her suddenly. "I had the Glaze."

Clara's eyes widen, "What?"

I nod as much as I can through the soreness, "I had the Glaze. I feel the connection. I found my mate."

Clara nearly jumps out of the chair, "Shut up! Who is it?"

I open my mouth but feel cut off as the drape from my infirmary opens up. A warmth starts to spread in my body, tips of my fingers and toes tingling like they've fallen asleep. My gaze turns upwards as I stare at Bren.

His eyes are intensely looking me over—scanning my face and body. They then land on Clara who looks absolutely shell-shocked. "I need to speak to Mia," Bren says.

"Yes Alpha," Clara doesn't even hesitate. She walks out of the room, head bowed low. I start to wonder if Bren mind linked her. It would mean that Clara completed the ceremonial process last night and she has the pack's brand on her wrist.

I quickly glance at my wrist, but there's nothing there. Our sigil isn't engraved into my skin. The image of a shield and sword are still missing.

I tilt my head at Bren, "I'm your mate."

"Don't talk too loud." He practically orders, his eyes glancing down at his hands. He pulls on the chair Clara had taken before taking a seat. "How are you feeling?"

I can't tell if he's actually concerned. There's something about his demeanor that's wrong. Like the friendly side of him that talked to me yesterday doesn't exist. My wolf presses me to reach out to him like she knows he needs comfort.

"What's wrong?" I ask point blank. I feel a strong pull to him. He's never smelled so good and I feel like his features have intensified. I never knew he was so stinking handsome. With brown dreamy eyes and large hands that I couldn't wait to hold.

Bren hesitates. I can see him clench and unclench his jaw. It's almost like a mutter under his breath but with no one around, I can hear it perfectly. "I don't think I'm ready for a mate."