Chapter 25 - The Initiation

When I first moved into the castle, it took no time for Matthew to relocate my things from my university room to his. I'd like to think it's because he was extremely excited for me to move in, but it's also because I have basically no stuff. It didn't go unnoticed to him that I only have one box of clothes. He ended up calling Ashley and Sage, asking if they could take me shopping with his credit card. I invited Clara to tag along so she could finally see the Old Town.

Her first few days were a bit apprehensive. She seemed nervous and somewhat afraid. It was so incredibly unlike her. She opened up to me about the rules that Bren has implemented. Almost everything that goes against his word or isn't viewed as "good enough" is followed by some form of punishment. Clara had to stop telling me about what punishments he or his warriors would inflict because they would make me feel unbelievably guilty.

I introduced Clara to my friends. Letting her know that only Tyler is aware of me being from Sparta. She was nervous at first, but after Evan cracked a few jokes, it was easier for her to come back to her normal self. I can only imagine the shit she's gone through back in Sparta.

Clara asked me a lot about Matthew. She—as a best friend would—asked for all the details. When I told her about his library and how I attend one of his classes, she couldn't help but laugh. She said he sounded like my perfect match. Much more suitable than Dickwad Bren.

I tried to argue against Matthew about giving me his card to go shopping. I do have paychecks from work, but he was quite adamant about me using his money. At first, I didn't even want to go shopping but with the winter coming up, I definitely need some sweaters and coats.

Despite Sage hating shopping, she was very forthcoming with what Matthew would like. Ashley was giddy and running around like a child let loose in a toy store. And Clara seemed to finally feel comfortable. Ashely kept probing Clara with questions that she very fluidly answered or managed to avoid. All the while Sage kept reminding me what Matthew likes—so beyond my usual comfort clothes, we bought a few outfits that would make him drool.

Dark academia aesthetic indeed, I smirk when the girls throw outfits at me. I can't deny that I don't love it. The plaid skirts and high boots. The button up blouses or oversized sweaters. I wouldn't say I've ever had an aesthetic, but I feel confident in this one.

"Mia, we need to get you something nice for Initiation." Sage says while Ash and I turn clothes on the rack. Sage is more than happy to give an opinion but in every store we enter she's basically the sulking boyfriend who sits on the sofa and doesn't move. Occasionally, Clara will join her when she gets tired of watching me try on outfits.

I turn to face Sage, crossing my arms over my chest. "What's Initiation like? We haven't talked about it a lot."

Ashely beams, "Oh it's beautiful here. We have so many different kinds of initiations, but it's like a graduation ceremony and gala combined."

Clara smirks, muttering under her breath. "I wish."

"It's black tie." Sage adds with a shrug, "I've worn the exact same dress for the last four years because I cannot be fucked getting a new one."

I let out a small laugh—typical Sage. Clara also gives off a giggle—Sage turning to stare at her. I lean forward, curious to how it works here. "Do I need to fight someone for the brand?"

"Goddess no," Ashley looks mortified. Her attention turning back to the clothes, "What does this place look like? Sparta?"

I try not to cringe at her words and brush them aside like they're just a pesky comment. Clara fidgets uncomfortably but she knows not to say anything. She's the Spartan advisor—everyone knows it. The brand on her wrist gives it away like a sore thumb. But so far, no one has figured out that I'm from Sparta and that's what we want to keep it as.