Chapter 31 - Bearing a Mark

*A/N: A bit of smut below enjoy you dirty peeps ;) *

Tyler was thrilled that the first hour or so of our journey it was raining. It washed away our scents and he couldn't be happier. There were times on the way back that I would start panicking and Tyler would have to comfort me. Overall, it took the entire day to return to the Valley.

Tyler had been running non-stop the night before trying to find me. The first quarter of the trip, we had to walk. His legs couldn't bare to run, he'd just collapse. We ended up taking a break by the river—despite my efforts to get him to take a nap—he refused. He kept telling me he wanted me on pack territory as soon as possible.

After some water and a fish he managed to snag from the river for the both of us, we were running again. Neither one of us was sprinting. Tyler made sure to be very careful and stick his nose in the air frequently to avoid any unwanted interactions.

As we approach the Valley, I start to feel anxious. I don't know what I'm walking into—Matthew might be furious with me. Lila might still be in the castle. Maybe Sage is even furious—I never want her to look at me the way she looked at Lila. And what about Tyler? I smell like him. I don't want him to get hurt.

I just linked River, Tyler tells me. We're still too far away for me to be able to reach but one of his new warrior benefit is constant connection to River. They're meeting us at the pack border.

Tyler, I say looking at him from the side. He glances at me, his eyes tired. Thank you.

I can't really tell in wolf form—but I think he smiles. Anything for you, Holms.

We run the final stint back. Our bodies tired and working on autopilot. By the time the Valley comes into view, it's already dark. I guess Tyler informed River from where we were coming from because as soon as we reached the edge of the forest, I can see a group of people assembled. Sage and Clara are talking to one another. River and a few warriors just behind. But my eyes are elsewhere—on Matthew.

Matthew is standing in front of his car, his eyes training themselves on me as soon as he sees me. My heart skips a beat and I have to control my wolf. She wants to bolt again. Afraid to hear what he has to say. But then we see his face.

He looks tired and afraid. His eyes somewhat sullen and his gaze staring at me intently. The closer we get, the more I feel his aura. It's not angry at all—just nervous. A whine escapes my lips when I realize the damage that I've caused. He doesn't look like he's slept, ate, or functioned properly since yesterday.

I suddenly feel so unbelievably guilty. My wolf retreating in my mind and letting me control my body. Clara runs up to me, holding a blanket I know belongs to Matthew. She nods at Tyler before setting the blanket around my shoulders. I shift quickly, pulling it close to my body.

Clara hugs me tightly, "We were so worried Mia."

I can't help but hug her tightly. My eyes looking up from the ground to meet Matthew's gaze. The green intensity I'm used to has softened. As soon as Clara pulls away, she takes a step to the side.

Matthew looks almost afraid that I'll run again. I choke back the sob I feel forming—my throat closing slightly. Without hesitation, I run to him, jumping into his arms as my own instantly latch around his neck while his hold onto my waist. "I'm so sorry," I cry quietly against his ear.

He let's out a breath he was holding, squeezing me so tightly I feel my feet come off the ground. His face buries into my neck, inhaling softly and I can't help but do the same. Amberwood and coffee and books. It makes my insides turn into goo and my body hum in warmth. The last twenty-four hours feeling like a blur.