Chapter 34 - Formalities

Matthew meant it when he said we were going to be in full alert. The entire Valley basically closed down. Everyone was told to stay in their home and even the University campus—a place I've frequently found refuge and comfort from all the students—was like a ghost town.

I haven't been able to stop pacing. My nerves have gotten the best out of me. Seeing Clara so afraid has made me realize how things have changed in Sparta. She's been sheltering me from the realities of what the pack has turned into. But now that Bren is coming, those realities are a disgusting can of worms that's being sprayed everywhere.

Someone is calling out my name in the distance. Not actually in the distance but it certainly feels that way. My entire mind feels fogged and underwater. The only voice resonating is my wolf's. She's pissed. She's more than pissed—she's ready to kill. Yet at the same time, we're shitting ourselves.

"Mia," Matthew calls out again only this time he places his hand on my arm. My attention instantly directed at him.

I stare up at his face—it's hardened. Only when he turns to speak to me does his gaze soften ever so slightly. I've never seen him like this. There's a level of determination I didn't realize existed in him. I never would have pegged Matthew as a general or even a war-buff. But the last few hours he's resembled Sparta more than I ever have.

He's allocated wolves all across our territory. Our kitchen has become a war planning area where we've mapped out our territory. He's been speaking to warriors non-stop. Relying all the information he's learned from Clara and myself. Tyler has given a crash course on our fighting styles. River is directing and barking orders to everyone.

"Did you hear what I said, gorgeous?" Matthew asks me quietly. He knows very well I didn't hear but I'm thankful for his kindness. He pushes a strand of my hair behind my ear, "River and a few warriors are going to accompany Bren and his escorts here."

I gulp down my fear, "H-How many wolves is Bren bringing?"

"Only a few," Clara responds from the corner of the room. Sage is sitting next her, her hand on Clara's knee as it seems to calm her down. Clara's eyes meet mine, "They've only heard a rumor you're here. He's not bringing the battalion yet."

"A rumor?" I frown. I turn to Tyler and decide to mind link him, Do you think it was Olive?

Tyler shakes his head lightly, his eyes meeting mine. Olive was barely alive when we left her.

"It doesn't matter how he found out." Matthew quickly squashes it. His attention is completely on the war plan in front of us. He's already preparing for Bren to bring his warriors after today.

His intense gaze turns to me, looking me over once. He grabs my hands in his so that I'm facing him. His voice softens ever so slightly, "Mia you're going to have to help us diffuse the situation."

I nod with him, trying to get my nerves under control. I don't want war to break out. I don't want the Alpha King to have to get involved. I want everything to just go back to how it is. Matthew brushes this thumb over my cheek.

I'll have to speak to Bren at some point. I'm sure this is an idea that has appeared in Matthew's head that he is trying to avoid. He doesn't want to leave me with Bren. Deep down, I know it's the only way I can try to help.

Matthew's back straightens suddenly. His nostrils flare and eyes turn slightly black. I watch as he takes a few deep breaths to control himself. His aura suddenly emitting raw power. It's both intimidating and arousing.

"They're here." Matthew's voice is low. I can practically feel the weight on my shoulders. He turns to Tyler and mind links my friend.

Tyler's eyes widen, "Alpha—"