Chapter 40 -- The Foretell Part 2

"Will you still not reconsider?" I decide to ask point blank to Aiden.

The question makes him stiffen as we wander closer to the blue light. It does finally feel like we're making progress in the Foretell. At first it felt like every step we took only pushed us back but slowly, we're creeping towards the medallion

"You don't understand, Mia." Aiden hesitates.

I pull at his arm, stopping the both of us. "Then make me understand, oh your Majesty."

"That's rather condescending, wouldn't you say?" Aiden rolls his eyes.

My wolf surfaces and I can't help but growl. Even she is losing her patience. We can't understand why Aiden wouldn't want to avoid the demise of his friends just to send me away. Knowing full well that not only I would die, but Matthew, Alexander, and Wayan would too.

Aiden's eyes narrow at me—his aura quickly quieting my wolf. His jaw clenches, "I will lose all of you, yes. But that is a cost for defeating the rebellion."

"There must be another way," I implore. "Sparta isn't the only support you could get for the rebellion, Aiden."

"Mia this isn't my first time in the Foretell." Aiden practically snaps. "You don't know what I saw happen to the Kingdom in the future. You cannot comprehend the power the rebellion has. I have to vanquish it under any circumstance. Including..."

He's battling against himself. His fists clenching beside him as he tries not to let his emotions get the best of him. In the process, the fogs start shifting again. The air feeling light. The sound of children and adults laughing flittering through the air. A sudden sense of comfort pierces through me. My wolf and I feeling warm like the sun is touching us.

I turn towards the scene. My heart melting at the sight of Matthew in our living room. The entire room is completely disheveled. There isn't a single sofa or piece of furniture, it's turned into a little garage looking room. With a drum set in the back and cords laid out on the floor. Matthew has his electric guitar strap slung over his shoulder, his smile radiating along his aura. He looks older—at least a decade or so. His hair sandy and eyes a bit worn. But he's wearing his glasses and his infectious energy can't be denied.

"You ready, honey?" He calls out to a girl sitting behind the drums.

The girl smiles and I gasp entirely, my hand shooting up to my face. She has my face. My nose and cheekbones. But his eyes. They're piercing green like Matthew's. Her hair just as dark as his until light shines on it—then it shimmers like mine. She must be a teenager.

My wolf can't help it. She whines and I want to cry. She's beautiful. Mia, that's our daughter.

I feel Aiden's eyes on me as pity starts to course through him. I don't want to look. I don't want to see what would have happened if Matthew and I were allowed to be together. This is too painful to watch. Worse than when Matthew was bleeding on the ground. He looks so happy here. So full of life. There's so much color in our home. The view of the lake warming me as a sudden wave of homesickness hits me.

What if we're never allowed to come back? I ask my wolf.

"Hit it." Matthew calls out and our daughter starts to solo on the drums. He smiles brightly, waiting for his cue to start playing the electric guitar. I watch—completely entranced as Matthew and our daughter play with bright smiles and laughs. She messes up a few times, but he happily encourages her to keep going.

Turning to Aiden, I see a small smile on his face. His attention taken by the drumming girl—probably admiring that she's taken up his favorite instrument. "She's not bad," He says softly.