Chapter 8 - Becoming a Scholar

Sage did in fact do a full cavity search. She inspected my entire body for any brands of the Rebellion. She also made sure to make me feel like I didn't belong. It's safe to say that she's quite hesitant over my being here.

After her inspection, there was slight disappointment in her that she didn't find anything. She let me settle into the guest house, just down the street from the Alpha's castle. I wasn't allowed to leave but they at least brought me dinner so there wasn't much to complain about. Especially because of the bed. It had been days since I had slept on something with pillows.

At the crack of dawn, there was a knock on my door that startled me awake. I didn't even have time to say anything before Sage rolled in with a pair of clean clothes. "Here you are Rogue," She tosses them onto the bed. "Let's go. Alpha is waiting for you."

I don't even have time to be nervous anymore. There's no energy in my system as I'm pulled along by Sage back into Alpha Matthew's castle. We're back in his dark academia aesthetic of an office. I believe if he were to add gargoyles it really would look more like Beauty and the Beast.

Alpha Matthew is leaning forward on his desk, reviewing some paperwork underneath him. He looks up at us and I nearly swoon at the sight of him wearing a pair of thick black glasses. He looks like Clark Kent, if Clark Kent had tattoos and smelled like amberwood and coffee.

Sage instantly goes for the brown leather couch in the corner of the room, laying back on it comfortably as I stay tense in the middle of the office. I let my eyes drift from Alpha Matthew to the shelves of countless books. They all look so old and worn. I can only imagine what kind of knowledge is in this room. In the very back corner, I see a specific shelf that has a glass covering and lock around it. The idea of forbidden knowledge makes my hands itch for those books.

God I'm such a nerd. I think to myself. My wolf huffs in agreement with me but it's at least nice to know she loves me for who I am.

"Give me one moment," Alpha Matthew breaks the silence. He's scribbling something in a notepad.

I point towards the shelves, "May I?"

He peers at me through the rim of his glasses. My mouth nearly waters. He's giving me sexy scholar and professor vibes. I could swoon right now if I wasn't trembling with fear.

He nods his head and I take it as a cue to glance through the shelves. I let my hands trace some of the spines of books, seeing which one just calls to me. I know that Sage is watching me closely, her eyes are basically burning holes in the back of my head. But I don't care. I stop in the middle of the room, pulling out a thick book and softly touching the cover.

I open the book hesitantly, reading a few pages and completely losing myself. It's about power and magic. How they go hand-in-hand in our world. In Sparta, we weren't allowed to learn about magic. Most packs don't want their wolves to know about magic which is why I'm surprised I managed to find this here.

"Mia." Alpha Matthew breaks me out of the trance. I close the book, keeping it in my hands as I walk towards the Alpha. "Take a seat."

I gulp, letting my legs take me to the chair across from him. He pulls out the paperwork that I handed him yesterday out of the drawer of his table. Placing it between us and taking his glasses off.

Goddamn, I think to myself. I really liked those glasses.

My wolf nudges me in agreement but I quickly switch her off. This conversation is much too important to get distracted.

"Sage," Alpha Matthew glances at his Beta. "I need you to step out for a moment. I want to speak to Mia alone."

"Are you sure?" She stands up regardless, her arms crossing to glare at me.