Chapter 6 - Trusting the Enemy

The camp is exactly what it is. A camp. At first, I didn't notice it was there. The stench of magic so quickly took over the air. It was like looking at a mirage until everything came into focus. There are tents everywhere, people doing chores, laughing, sitting around campfire. By the time we arrived, the sun was already setting.

Alpha Bren would always tell us that the rebels are savages. Nothing but blood-lust werewolves who have a hunger for war. Except the camp looks nothing like this. There are families here, elders. Everyone seems to have a job, a few people cooking, others are in setting up fallen tents. It seems innocent and kind. Walking through the camp, people would stare at me. Some were sizing me up and others smiled like they wanted me to stay. I got a few, "Hello's" and "Welcome." A little kid ran up to me and handed me a bracelet he made.

It made me smile and I felt much more at ease than earlier. Until we started walking towards the back of the camp. The mood almost instantly shifted as the tents turned from yellows and reds to dark shades of black and green. I felt like I entered a warzone as several built-up wolves reminded me instantly of Sparta. It didn't take an idiot to know that I entered the war room.

There are two guards standing outside the largest tent in the complex. Their eyes narrowing at me like I'm nothing but a bug that needs to be squashed. One of them turns towards Eric, "Are you out of your mind?"

"It was Jess' idea." Eric holds his hands up.

Jess doesn't even bat an eye, "She just needs a lift to the mountains."

"I didn't realize we became a taxi service." Another werewolf steps out of the tent. His hair ragged and sandy. Eyes piercing green and body more lean than built.

"Come on Joshua," Jess navigates around me until her hands are on my shoulders and she's pushing me forward. "Just let her meet, Hala and Kane. They can decide."

"Kane is on a mission." Joshua's words are careful like he doesn't want to give too much away. His attention seems to be distracted and I quickly realize that he's mind linking to someone. Within a few seconds, he steps aside, pulling the tent doorway so I can enter.

"Only her." Joshua places his hands out to Eric and Jess. My heart starts pounding. The names Kane and Hala start to bounce in my head. I know those names. Or at least, they sound incredibly familiar. I start to curse inside my head. The females in Sparta were never told about the rebellion as much as the warrior males. It was their jobs to know and ours was to learn. Idiots, knowledge is power.

I walk into the elaborate tent, feeling like an emperor lives there. There are several rooms sanctioned off like it belongs to more than one person. As I step closer, I notice a large table in the corner with what looks like a map. As if noticing my gaze, Joshua quickly blocks it with his body.

Turning my eyes forward, I almost want to laugh at the throne like wooden chair that sits in the middle of the tent. Unlike a throne however, there are other chairs. Almost like a council. My eyes instantly land on a young woman. Her face is stunning. More so than anything else about her. She has chiseled cheekbones, eyebrows beautifully wrapped over her piercing eyes. Her collarbone prominent as I can see the Mark of the Rebellion hanging around her neck from a gold chain.

She's dressed like she's about to go into war, a leather-bound strap and corset around her mid-waist that hold two blades on either side of her. I sniffed the air and froze. She's a werewolf but I can smell the silver coming from those blades. A werewolf yielding silver, that's almost unheard of.

"Hala?" I ask tentatively causing Joshua to growl.

She puts her hand up and I watch as he slowly walks towards her until he's standing by her side. "No," She narrows her eyes. "I'm Sloane. Who are you?"

I lick my lips, "My name is Mia."

"Why were you brought here, Mia?"

I've dealt with Alpha females my whole life. Every she-wolf in Sparta wants nothing more than to fight. Every ounce of energy radiating off of Sloane reminds me of Sparta. Reminds me of Spartan werewolves. I quickly straighten my back, meeting her eyes.

"I was promised food. And housing." I say nonchalantly. "And a ride."

Sloane's eyebrow raises, she turns to Joshua. "Seriously?"

Joshua rolls his eyes. Despite him wanting to say it quietly and under his breath, I'm still able to hear him, "You know Jess. Always trying to recruit."

I quickly intervene, "I'm not here to join your cause."

They stare at me, bewildered. Clearing my throat, I quickly bare my wrist, "I have no pack claim. I'm just a rogue. But I want a pack. I want a place. I was rejected by my mate."

It's the first time I've said it out loud and it stings. The emptiness I've been feeling almost elevates as soon as I think of Bren and my home. Sloane's eyes staying stagnant as ever. I decide to continue, "I'm headed to the mountains. To plead with the Scholars to let me join their pack."

"The Scholars?" Sloane's eyebrows raise, "Where did you come from?"

I don't know whether I should tell them. Maybe they'll view me as a threat or an opportunity. For all I know, they might want insight on how we train our wolves. Hesitantly I speak, "Sparta."

Joshua instantly growls, taking a step forward as if trying to protect Sloane. "Do you have any idea how many of your pack have killed ours?"

"No." I answer honestly, "And I'm not part of that pack. Not anymore."

Sloane reaches for Joshua's hand, running circles on it until it calms him down. "And what will you do with the information of being here?"

I frown, "What do you mean?"

"No one is to know our rebellion has a camp here." Sloane tilts her head and I start to panic. "So we only have two options."

I bite my lip, watching as she calculates cleverly in her head. Her beauty is almost intoxicating. Even I can't help start to wonder if she's been crafted by the moon goddess. "You can stay here," She says slowly. "Or you can trust us enough to get you to the mountains. But under our conditions."

I swallow, "And what conditions are those?"

She smiles crookedly, "You'll just have to trust us."

***

A/N: hey guys! One more chapter and you'll get to meet our second reject ;) Alpha Matthew