Chapter 28 - A Chance

Why would he want me upstairs? He's always so open with me. Always including me in all of his discussions and Alpha duties. Why can't I be around when he talks to his mate? His mate. The words make my wolf growl angrily. She's fuming. Pacing in my head and I'm trying to control her but I'm freaking out too.

Why did she have to be so pretty? I can't help but wonder.

You're beautiful too Mia. My wolf whines, You're Gorgeous with a capital G. Don't forget that.

What's she doing here? Why did she come back? Hasn't it been so many years? I feel wired up. I feel too much. There are so many emotions running through me—I can't keep track. It's so difficult because I'm already questioning my own emotions, but I have to also decipher my wolf's.

Sage has her arm around me as we walk up the staircase. My body feeling absolutely dejected. I was so violent all of a sudden. I launched myself at Lila—my wolf clouding every sense of logic I have. I've never felt that angry before. Being called a pet – how demeaning. I want to burst into tears and punch a wall all at the same time. Matthew did kiss me...but I wish he would keep me around. Now I'm only wondering what he and Lila could possibly be talking about or what they're doing.

"Stop Mia," Sage turns me to face her. She's staring at me with concern. I can feel her own anger radiating off of her. I never realized how much she hated Lila until now. Sage's look softens, "I can feel your aura. You're anxious and stressed and falling apart but stop those thoughts about what they're doing. It's irrelevant."

"How do you know?" My voice so soft under my breath. I'm so scared. I can feel it in every bone in my body.

What if Matthew's feelings for Lila resurface? Everyone always says he nearly lost his head when she left. Was he madly in love with her? What if he doesn't love me as much as he loves her? She is his mate after all.

"Matthew loves you," Sage reassures me. But her words sound like they're underwater.

She leads me into Matthew and I's bedroom. His scent calming me down slightly. I focus on the Amberwood and coffee and books. It's like the feeling of holding a hot cup of coffee between my hands in the cold morning. Comforting but I have to focus on the warmth. Our mixed scents still lingering in the room, and I try to think of that. Of the love we shared last night.

"Goddess," Sage's nose scrunches and for a split second we forget about Lila. "You guys really went for it last night, didn't you?"

My bottom lip starts quivering and place my hand over my mouth to suppress a sob. The warm feeling, I was trying to hold onto evaporates and I'm left in the cold. I attacked Lila and now I feel like I'm in time-out. Why would she show up today? The day after my initiation? Did she know I was getting initiated? That I was going to become Luna?

Mia stop, my wolf starts whining. You're freaking out.

You're freaking out too, I tell her. These thoughts wouldn't be in my head if my wolf wasn't thinking them as well. She's packing back and forth whining.

What if it was to make her jealous? My breath hitches at the thought. Tears streaming down my face. My wolf stills.

Sage snaps me out of it, her hands on my shoulders and she shakes me carefully. "Hey!" She shouts slightly, her eyes finding mine. "Mia your aura is laced with panic and wretchedness. What are you thinking about?"

I can't even say it, it just makes me sick to think about. There's no way. There's absolutely no way that Matthew would do something like that. He loves me—he told me so plenty of times last night. I try to take my brain to a happier place. Thinking of him—his smile, his intense eyes, when he plays his guitar.