Chapter 37 - The King

A/N: Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate. Those who don't--I hope you're having wonderful holiday's nonetheless! Don't forget to comment ^-^ y'alls comments make me soooo happy. Enjoy this little Christmas present <3<3<3

Slowly, Spartan wolves start to come out of the tree line. Bren and Jake's figures walking in human form in the center of their pack. That's when I see a third human form standing next to Bren that makes me frown and Matthew let out a loud growl—his eyes darkening over instantly. Lila stands proudly by Bren, her gaze narrowed at our wolves as we also slowly stalk out of the forest.

It doesn't take a genius to piece two and two together. Tyler and I had been trying to figure out for days how it was that Bren ever found out I was here. Now we have the answer. Lila must have gone running to him. Or at least, she somehow figured out he was looking for me. Seeing the two of them standing next to each other, you'd think they were mates.

"What. A. Cunt." Alexander exaggerates each word while rolling his eyes when he see's Lila. I guess he's very well versed about what she's done. Even Sage looks like she's going to lose it.

But not as much as Matthew. He promised to kill Lila if she ever came back to the Valley. I thought that maybe he was being exaggerative, however, seeing him now...I know his wolf will own up to his promise.

Bren places his fist upwards, and all his wolves slowly lay on their stomachs. Matthew takes a deep breath his eyes unable to return to their beautiful green. He clenches my hand and I look up at him.

Final negotiations, my wolf is pacing back and forth in my head as Bren and Lila start to walk closer to us.

I look up at Matthew, tugging his hand slightly. He doesn't look at me, his eyes completely zeroed in on our official mates. Matthew's voice echoes through everyone's minds, Hold. Our wolves drop to their stomachs, but their back legs are all eager to pounce.

"Let's go." Matthew's voice is strained, and I can tell he's trying to push his wolf back. This is going to be a testament for how much control he can have over his wolf. The two people he hates most in the world are standing a few feet away.

I hold my chin up as the both of us walk slowly towards Bren and Lila. Our combined aura's pulsating through us. I know they can feel it. I know that our pack can feel it. I try not to be afraid. Bren is an absolute monster, but I won't hide away timidly. After what he did to me, my wolf is praying to see his blood on the snow.

The closer we get to Bren and Lila, the more furious they seem to become. Lila's eyes trailing to Matthew's neck where I left my Mark. She doesn't seem nearly as fazed as I thought she would. Then again, I don't think she loves Matthew at all but even deep down—her wolf must feel something towards him. I narrow my eyes at Bren, keeping contact with him as I pull my hair up into a ponytail just when we finish walking.

Instantly he seeks out the Mark that he left only to be greeted by a white scar. His eyes blank over in black, jaw slacking suddenly when his gaze finds Matthew's claim. "That's not possible."

Matthew tries to hide his content smile, but it comes off in a devious smirk. The devious smirk that's had me wrapped around his finger since day one. Bren starts to tremble with rage, "What did you do to my claim?"

A growl starts bubbling in his chest, but I ignore it. "Bren," I keep my voice level like I'm talking someone off the ledge. "You have no claim over me or my heart. Please, go back home. We can avoid bloodshed today."

He meets my gaze but seeing Matthew's Mark has only infuriated him. I can see him losing control of his senses—of his wolf. I quickly glance at Matthew who's too busy staring Lila down.