Chapter 7 - Alpha Matthew

I was told the Rebels were monsters. But honestly, they're not. They're extremely nice werewolves. After I agreed to trust the Rebels, Sloane excused me from her tent. Since then, I spent the night eating with the Rebels and learning their stories. Particularly, why they ended up joining the rebellion. A few werewolves were betrayed or feel betrayed. Some have no where else to go and this feels like their family. But mostly, there is a genuine despise for the King.

I ate so well. The stew was amazing and I was given a tent to sleep in peacefully. At first, I was nervous but having my own sleeping space was a massive relief off my shoulders. As soon as the sun started raising, I had to get out and head towards the main tent. Sloane and Joshua were waiting there for me alongside a few warriors.

Sloane gives me a small smile, as we being to walk towards one of their cars. "We cannot have you telling the pack where we are. The Scholars have a close relationship with the King."

I just stare at her, confused. "So, what am I supposed to do?"

Part of me still believes this is too good to be true. They're letting me go. They aren't trying to hold me hostage or trying to kill me for what I know. In Sparta, we would have killed the Rebels immediately, without hesitation. Maybe the Rebels aren't as ruthless as people make them out to be.

Sloane pulls out a small pill, handing it to me as we get into the car. She gives me an intense stare as we begin to drive out of the woods, "This will remove your memories from the last 18 hours."

I stare at her blankly, "Are you insane?"

"Don't worry, it just puts a mind block. Once you take the pill, it'll knock you out. The last thing you see is also the only thing that will ever release the mind block."

"What are you going to do then?" I ask her, somewhat afraid. "Where will you leave me?"

"Just outside of the Scholar's territory." She places the pill in my hand, handing me a water bottle. "Seeing as you're about to forget this entire ordeal, I'm just going to let you know that we have a mission to run in the mountains anyways. Not near the Scholar's, but close enough that you can walk there."

"How am I supposed to explain my loss of memory?"

"Doesn't matter what I tell you," Sloane shrugs. "You're going to forget it anyways."

Joshua, who's sitting in the passenger seat, smirks. "Good luck with their Alpha. I hear he's quite the misanthropic. But with werewolves, of course."

Sloane begins to unravel a string of leather she has tied in her ponytail. She quickly wraps it around my wrist, with a kind smile. "If you feel like you do not belong and you branch away from the pack life, you will find us in the most unlikely of places."

She pushes the water bottle further towards me. Before I can ask what she means, I take the pill as quickly as possible. Basically, chugging down the water with all my might. I could die right now. I could have trusted these random people, and this can lead to my death. But who cares. My mate certainly doesn't care. What's the point of living when my soulmate doesn't even want me. Here I go, taking a gamble because why not. Why bother caring.

I begin to feel drowsy, unsure where my head is at. My eyes turn to Sloane, who's mouth is moving but I can't hear a word she's saying. I keep my eyes planted on her, what was it she said? The last thing I look at will be the one thing to bring my memories back. I wouldn't mind meeting Sloane again. I wouldn't mind running into her. My gaze gets blurrier and her face starts to dissolve into black.

****

I have no idea how I got here. I must have been running so much that my mind shut off because the memory of reaching the bottom of the mountain seems gone. Even though my body doesn't feel as sore as it should be and I'm not starving the way I thought I'd be. Regardless, I realize that I'm only a few hours away from my destination.