Chapter 42 - Brotherhood

A/N: I strongly implore you to read my Author's Note at the end <3

Matthew was incredibly skeptical about King Aiden's proposal. Once the King offered to make us mates, I could feel the tension in Matthew's body. His eyebrows had furrowed like he thought the King was playing some sick joke. My wolf was reeling, but truth be told, the prospect of being "mates" didn't seem like something so official for me. I already feel like Matthew's Mate. Could the actual bond really change that?

Matthew thought the exact same thing. He initially didn't care much about being "official" mates. We already love each other and that's enough for us. But the King insisted. Telling us that there could be benefits to the official bond. Particularly, no one ever questioning our love ever again.

A short conversation with the King about binding us has now led Matthew and I on a small visitation to the Royal Palace. Ezra was adamant that we leave as soon as possible for the Royal Palace. Citing his concern of Rebels finding out the King is here. It meant that Matthew and I didn't have time to return to the pack to reassure everyone that we were alright. The only thing I really had time for was putting on some new spare clothes.

It also meant briefing River and Tyler. Tyler's sudden role as Beta becoming incredibly important but the determination on his face to reassure us that everything would be alright was enough to relax Matthew.

Because King Aiden can't shift, we climbed into one of his cars that brought him here. Ezra taking the passengers seat, a guard taking the drivers, and the three of us climbing into the back. I'm surprised to see that the space in the back of the car is ginormous. The seats facing one another, and a table equipped in the middle like we're about to host a meeting in a moving automobile.

Before Matthew slips inside, he turns to River and Tyler. Matthew won't let go of my hand, putting me in an awkward position of holding up my arm as I wait for him to get into the car. He instructs both River and Tyler about some Alpha duties. Turning to Tyler, he tells him to get comfortable in our house if he wants to live in the castle. With a soft smile, Matthew let's go of my hand briefly so he can embrace both of the men.

There's an energy around Matthew that's somewhat excited. Although he didn't initially want this "formality" of being mates, I can't help but think that his wolf is enthusiastic. Even my wolf is skipping around in my head like it's the best idea she's ever heard.

Matthew sits beside me in the car, closing the door for the three of us. Ezra takes that as a cue and the driver pulls forward. I clutch onto Matthew's hand as we watch the trees outside fly by faster and faster. King Aiden is sitting across from us. He clicks on the button on his door that lifts a partition between the two men in the front and the three of us.

Aiden's body relaxes into the seat. I watch with intrigue as he starts unclipping his royal gear. He's been wearing it for so long—I can only imagine how good it must feel to take off so much war gear. Like a bra at the end of a long day. He sets his armor on the ground in front of him. Placing his crown just beside his leg. A thin layer of sweat coating a thin undershirt he's wearing.

None of us speak. In fact, we all look exhausted. Matthew still has a few cuts that are healing on his face. My body feels sore from the war that's been fought. My mind fatigued from the emotional turmoil I received in the Foretell. It's dark outside which doesn't help the fact that my eyelids start to close. Matthew's arm is holding me close to his side, my head leaning against his warm body. It might as well be a pillow. I can feel Aiden's eyes on us as my head droops against Matthew.

Matthew presses a small kiss on the top of my head and I'm sure that I drift off for a few minutes. Maybe hours. The next thing I remember was hearing them talking. Catching them in mid-conversation. I don't know what's been spoken prior, but the two seem to have been in conversation for a while. Seemingly having resolved some of the tension that I felt earlier when we got into the car.