Chapter 14 - An Un-Deserved Rest

Rays from the early morning sun shined through the open window, past the dancing curtains into the room, bathing it in a warm light. Sitting on the floor, slouched against the bed, with their head facing the window, Heart stared their eyes out and watched a flock of birds fly by outside.

Letting out a sigh, their head fell down and their eyes hit upon the sight of their handless arms wrapped up in bandages.

As they looked down at them in discontent, all of a sudden, Heart heard a knock at the door. Following that, they could hear someone proceed to creak it open.

" Oh! I see you're already awake," Esther uttered as she entered the room. Glancing up, Heart could see a large tray in her hands, topped with an assorted mix of breakfast foods.

Shutting the door behind her with a tap from her heel, Esther paced over and kneeled down on the floor beside them.

" I brought you your breakfast!" She said, propping the tray up onto her legs. Grabbing a fork, she plunged it into the pancake's soft and fluffy top. Taking a knife, she cut a piece off and carried it over towards Heart.

" Open wide!" Esther said with her mouth agape and a smile tightly stretching her cheeks up.

Heart looked upon the piece of pancake with the most grievous and disgusted look on their face they had ever made before in their existence. Even without their hands, they were still perfectly able to feed themselves. They didn't need something else, let alone a human to help them. But the earnest glow radiating from Esther's eyes caused them to reconsider. After thinking about it for a moment, they blew out a sigh.

"...Ughh..." Begrudgingly, Heart leaned their head forward and opened their mouth. " Do whatever you what..."

Once Esther slid the fork inside, they closed their teeth onto the pancake bite. Pulling it off, they chewed it in less than a second and swallowed it down along with their pride.

With already another piece prepared, Esther continued to happily feed Heart.

" So..." Esther began, feeding another piece to them. " Juzo told me that with a few more weeks of treatment, the wounds on your arms should close up and you'll be good to go. We're lucky he was with us because doctors here in Fei sure are pricey. Though, we still don't know what to do about your hands..."

" Oh, sorry...I probably shouldn't have mentioned it." She uttered, pausing for a moment.

"...No offense taken." Heart responded, silently chewing a piece.

Spearing another piece, Esther continued, " Anyways, since you were injured while on a journey with us and it was our duty to protect you, I'll have the Casimir Family pay you and your family reparations. Speaking of which...who are your parents anyway? Whenever I try to imagine them, my mind just keeps coming up blank!"

Slouching their head back onto the bed, Heart thought about their answer. In this world, Rick and Susanne were their parents, but they have had countless other beings claim these roles throughout their many reincarnations. They don't really consider any of them their "parents" however. Just the ones who helped contribute to their reincarnations. The only time when they could have had something akin to one is back when they were a god.

But the thing is, even then, Heart still doesn't have a concrete answer that they could give. You see, there is no grand tale for Heart's creation. They just all of a sudden one day, for whatever reason, simply began to exist. For all Heart knows, they could have some sort of creator, but they have no clue as to who or "what" it could be. And there is no reason for their existence that could point to one, or at least, none that they could find.