Chapter 32 : Pity

After the commotion two days ago, the news about the prince annul our engagement were spreading quickly like a pandemic. I been expecting this from the start. I also heard about me, the daughter of Mellifluous family pass out after the prince declared the annul engagement. Some nobles took a pity and sympathy toward me including the servants in the mansion.

Right now, I was inside my room to pretend to be depress for a few days. It was a harder for me to do this since I need to skip my food schedule and everything, just to make people believe I was awfully sad.

I was lying down in my soft bed while cuddling a pillow. I can heard my stomach growling like a drum because I didn't eat anything except bread.

"I'm hungry......", I murmured.

I rolling around the bed to make myself forgot I was hungry but I failed. Instead, it make me even more hungry.

"I need food!", I sighed.

I walked toward the door and put my ears on it to hear if a servants walk passed my room. Luckily, no one was walking or guarding the door. I opened the door slowly as I don't want to make any noises since it already in middle of the night.

I didn't bring the lantern with me because I don't want the servants or the duke know someone was woke up in the middle of the night. I only depended on the light of the full moon that illuminates the night. I can see my way.

I hope I didn't came across with the maid or a guard who in the nightshift.....

I slowly make my way to the kitchen at the end of the mansion. Looking around to the left and right, walking slowly in the stairs and hide when saw the maid in the nightshift. I hide at the curtain or run toward the opposite way. I was sneaky like a ninja or assassin.

The security of this mansion wasn't that tight at all since I already does this before. I eat snack secretly in the middle of the night. The chef thought that it was a rat who eat the snack. So, they put all the rat trap all over the place. They don't know that I'm actually the little rat they tried to catch for years.

I arrived at the kitchen and open the door slowly. This door actually make a little bit creaky sounds but I managed to open it. I look around the kitchen to find a food. There's a few boxes of vegetables in here. I go to the spot where they always put a leftovers for themselves.

Ok, where is the food.... Came out food... It's to you to be in my stomach.

I searched the cabinet where they always put the leftovers and I found the jackpot.

"Ohh..... Chocolate chip cookies!", I murmured in joy.

I took the jar of chocolate chip cookies and put it at the table. I staring at the door first to make sure no one walk pass this room. It took a few seconds to see if I'm save or not but luckily I didn't hear any footsteps. I opened the jar and eat the cookies.

This is delicious.....

I ate as much I can but my stomach still growling. The cookies isn't enough to feed my greedy stomach. The cookie jar is almost empty until a familiar voice called out my name and it stop my track from eating.

"My lady....?", A voice said and I think the voice belong to Tonia.

I look away to the direction and saw Tonia staring at me while holding a lantern. Her eyes was wide open when she saw me in this place. A lady shouldn't be in the kitchen since she was a noble and I kind of broke this rule as a noble woman.

Damn it! I get caught!

"My lady, are you perhaps hungry....?", She asked.

I just nodded since I can't hide this anymore as she saw me eating a cookies. My cheeks was burning in embarrassment. I can felt my dignity fly away from me.