Racetrack Higgins - Fight

As I enter my home, I call out to my mother, "I'm home!" And as per usual a response of "About time!" rings through the small, dingy apartment. It's just a small tease. She knows I'm always on time for dinner.

I take my seat at the small wooden table, and my mother brings out our dinner from the kitchen.

"How was your day, dear?" She asks me. "Oh, it was fine. You know, the usual. Guys being rude, flirting constantly, ladies making nice conversation," I tell her, waiting for my food to cool. "How was your day, Ma?" I ask her.

"Oh, it was fine. I was shocked to hear about the big fight the news boys got into, though," she says, making me freeze.

One of my closest friends is a newsie, and the thought of something bad happening to him was enough to make my heart stop beating.

"THE WHAT NOW?" I ask her, urgency in my tone. "You didn't hear? The newsboys got into some big fight with the police!"

"I'm sorry, Ma, I gotta go!" I yell, hopping up from my seat. She sighs, knowing how much my friend means to me. "Just be safe, dear!" She calls after me.

"I will!" I yell, grabbing my coat and running out the door.

I run all the way to the newsboy lodge and knock on the door hurriedly.

"What d'ya want?" A boy I recognize as Finch says upon opening the door. "I'm uh, looking for my friend? He's a newsie," I say, worry still painting my features. "Whose ya friend?" He asks me.

"Uh, Race," I say. "Racetrack Higgins," something seems to dawn on him, and he asks, "Is you that pretty goil Race can't keep his mouth shut about?" He asks.

"Well, I don't know. What is this pretty girl's name?" I ask. "Y/n," he says. "That would be me," i say before remembering why I'm actually here. "Is Race here?" I ask, panicking once again.

"Oh, yea, lemme go grab him. You can sit ovah dere on one of dem sofas while I go get 'im, " He says, pointing to the raggedy couches in the common area.

I take a seat, my leg bouncing like crazy. "Hey, pretty lady, so who might you be?" A boy with glasses says. I recognize this one as Specs. "Y/n l/n. I'm waiting for Finch to get Race for me." I say.

"Oh oh oh! Yous that pretty lady Race goes on and on about!" He says. I blush because this is the second time one of the newsboys has said that Race talks about me a lot.

"Does he really talk about me that much?" I ask. Specs laughs before calling one of the other newsies over. "Hey Romeo, how much does Race talk 'bout that one pretty lady, y/n?"

Romeo rolls his eyes before saying, "He never shuts up 'bout her! She's just about all he talks about!" The boy says. "Well, Romeo, this is her!" He says, gesturing at me.

"Huh, he's right, she's drop dead gorgeous," Romeo responds, shooting a wink at me. Specs rolls his eyes at Romeo. "Ey, Specs, Romeo, getcha asses ovah here!" Jack Kelley yells from elsewhere in the lodge. I wait another moment before seeing someone hop over the couch and sitting beside me.

I look over and see Race grinning at me. I don't have much time to take in his appearance before I tackle him in a hug.

"Ey, Doll, everything all right??" He asks worriedly. "No! I was so worried when I found out about the fight!" I yell.

"Hey, hey, hey, doll, it's ok, I'm ok, don't worry," He says, stroking my hair in an attempt to soothe me.

I lift myself off of him, and only now do I fully take in his appearance. He has a dark bruise around his right eye, a bruise on his left jaw, and scratches all over his neck and arms.

"Oh, Race, what did they do to you?" I say, looking at the boy I love so much. Of course, he doesn't know I love him, and i plan to keep it that way.

Race looks down at his lap before saying, "I didn't realize you cared 'bout me so much. Not used to having people care 'bout me."

"Race, look at me," i demand of the boy. He looks up at me, his eyes watering. "Race, I love you. I love you more than anything in this entire world. Hear me?" There goes keeping that a secret.

"Ya love me?" He asks skeptically. "Yeah. I do. I have since the day I met you." I say.

Before I know it, he has me pulled into his lap and is looking deep in my eyes. "I loved ya since the first time i saw ya buyin papes, but I thought a pretty lady like ya wouldn't give the time of day to a poor boy like me. How wrong I was, " he says

I do the thing that feels most natural, and I kiss him. He freezes for a brief moment before kissing back with equal passion. We only break apart when we hear wolf whistles from the stairs and see Jack, Finch, Romeo, Specs, and at least 5 other boys watching us.

"Oh, fuck off!" Race yells at them, and they scatter.

"Well they ruined the moment" He says before a thought pops into his head. "Will you be my goil?" He asks timidly.

"Of course I'll be your girlfriend!" I say, tackling him in another hug.

"Aren't I just the luckiest newsie there is?" He asks, pressing another kiss to my lips.