Albert DaSilva - Seltzer

(Another Albert chapter? Shocker, ik.)

"Hey, Jacobi" I whisper, gaining the waiters attention.

He walks over and I hand him 2 cents and say "give that red headed boy the seltzer that he wanted yesterday."

"You're paying for seltzer for a newsie? What'd they ever do for you?" He asks me.

"They haven't. But I feel bad. And that boy is cute." I tell him. "Ah, there it is. You fancy a newsie"

"Maybe. Maybe not. Just give the boy his seltzer." I tell him.

I've been coming in to Jacobis every day for years now, usually to pick up some food for my family.

We aren't rich, per se, but we have enough to where me spending 2 cents won't hurt us at all.

I watch from across the diner as Jacobi gives the red headed boy, who, until I learn his name I will be referring to as Red, his seltzer.

The boy looks confused, and I see Jacobi point in my direction, so I look away.

A few moments later, I see from my peripheral vision, someone sitting across from me.

"Why'd you pay for my drink?" He asks. Ah, it's Red.

"Because. I wanted to" I say simply, looking at the boy. "But why? I've never done anything for you" he questions.

"Because, Red, I wanted to be nice. You looked sad yesterday when he told you it was 2 cents, and I had an extra 2 cents on me today, so I decided to be nice to you. You're not complaining, are you?" I ask him

"No, not complainin', just wonderin why a pretty girl like you would do something for a newsboy like me" he states.

"You think I'm pretty?" I ask him, feeling my face flush.

"Yeah? And youse sweet, can't find girls like that too often" He says

"So, Red, what's your name? Or do I have to keep calling you Red" I ask him

"My names Albert, but you can call me Red if ya want" the boy now known as Albert says.

"Well, Albert. It's nice to meet you. I'm y/n"

"A pretty name for a pretty girl" He says. So he's a flirt. Wonderful.

We spend the rest of the time that the newsboys are there just chatting. He's really sweet, and he has a good sense of humor.

Eventually the newsies have to leave, but before Albert leaves, he asks "Hey, how would youse like to go on a walk together after I sell my papes tomorrow?"

"I'd love that, Red. Meet you here at 6?" I ask, and he says "sounds great, doll"

And that was the start of something new, that turned into something beautiful.