Bill Hearst - Newsie Girl

(You're in the cellar yk like right before once and for all)

I glance around, seeing all the people around me.

But the person that really catches my eye is a boy in blue suit pants and a white button down with his sleeves rolled up, with an apron over it all.

He's very attractive, but by the looks of him, he would have no interest in a newsie such as myself.

"Y/n, you're staring" Katherine tells me.

"Huh? Oh- sorry-"

"Its ok. Who are you staring at anyway?" She asks.

"The boy over there by the printing press, not Darcy, the other one" I tell her, vaguely gesturing at the boy.

"Ohh, Bill?" She asks.

"Is that his name?"

"Yeah. His father owns the Evening Journal" she informs me.

My eyes go wide. I really have no chance with him.

"Oh" is all I say as I glance down at the ground.

"He's not one for the whole 'people with rich families shouldn't marry out of their social class' thing though, if that's what caused your sudden mood shift" She tells me.

"Well yeah, he might say that, but really if it came down to it, I'm sure he'd much rather marry some snobbish rich woman than a newsie like me"

"Really? Y/n, I've been friends with Bill for years, he wants to marry a woman he truly loves, not one who is just some rich girl"

Our conversation gets cut off there, by Jack yelling for us newsies to go spread the Newsies Banner around the city.

I take a stack of papes and I'm about to head out when someone grabs my free hand, startling me.

I quickly turn to see who grabbed my hand, and it turns out to be Bill.

I look at him confused, and he says "um, sorry for stopping you, I wanted to ask you your name?"

I smile at him. "Y/n"

"Well, Y/n, how about after the Newsies Banner is all distributed, we go to dinner together? If, of course, you want to"

"I'd love that!"

He told me to meet him at some expensive restaurant, one I'd never been to, at 6 tomorrow night.

The next day

I have nothing to wear to a place like that, so Katherine loans me a shirt and skirt to wear and she does my hair.

"I told you Bill didn't care about social status!" She beams.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever" I laugh.

I look at my outfit. It feels so weird. I look...pretty.

Katherine tells me how to get to the restaurant, and when I arrive, Bill is already there waiting.

His eyes go wide upon seeing me, and his cheeks flush.

"Y/n! You look...you look gorgeous! Not that you didn't look gorgeous yesterday too, but uh- you- you get what I mean" He stutters.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Bill" I grin at the flustered boy.

We sit down in the restaurant, and get to know each other well as we eat.

He's incredibly sweet, and he said that I caught his eye immediately.

He pays for both of our meals, and offers for me to stay the night at his family's home because it's late now and he doesn't want me walking back to the lodge all alone.

"Oh, I couldn't...you've already been so nice to me, and you already paid for my meal!"

"And I'm offering to let you stay the night with me, so if you're worried it would be a bother, that's not an issue" He states calmly.

I think it over before deciding to go with him, and we link our arms and walk to his house.

When we arrive, I see just how big his house is.

We enter the home, and Mrs. Hearst greets us.

She hugs her son, but she looks at me with a dissaproving glare.

"Mother, this is Y/n, Y/n, this is my mother" Bill introduces.

"Its a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Hearst" I smile politely, and she just nods.

Bill pulls me up to his room, and I glance around it in awe.

He shuts his door and immediately apologizes for his mother's behavior.

"Y/n I'm so sorry about her! She's...she's not too happy that her eldest son is considering courting a newsie..."

"Its ok, I'm...I'm used to being seen as a second class citizen for being a newsie. Believe me, your mother was more polite than most people of your status are to me"

He frowns at that and says "that doesn't excuse her behavior though, and just because you're a newsie doesn't mean you're a second class citizen!"

It's so weird to me that Bill cares so much about me. I'm not used to having someone besides the other newsies who treats me well.

I hug him, my arms thrown around his shoulders. He holds my waist tight, resting his head on my shoulder.

We break apart from the hug, but his hands stay firmly on my waist.

He looks me in the eyes and says "Can I kiss you?"

I nod maybe a tad too eagerly, and he gently presses his lips to mine in a sweet and gentle kiss.

We pull apart, resting our foreheads against each other.

And a few years later, I was the new Mrs. Hearst.

Much to his parents dismay, we got married. A few days after the wedding, Bill went off on his parents for how awful they always are to me, and after that they started being far nicer to me.

Who'd've thunk that a Newsie would marry the son of the owner of one of the biggest papes in New York!

(This chapter isn't cooperating and Wattpad is being a dick)