Albert DaSilva - String

(Modern AU)

The sunlight from my windows is what woke me up this morning. My 16th birthday.

I look down at my wrist and sure enough, there it is, the red string. Only me and my soulmate can see it. When the older of two soulmates turn 16, a red string comes out of their wrists and connects them, until they have their first kiss as soulmates.

I throw on a cute outfit and head to the living room which has a small note on the coffee table. Some shit about how my parents can't be here to spend time with me on my birthday. Whatever.

I had already planned to go to my best friend Alberts house anyways. His house isn't too far from mine and it's a nice day out today, so i just go ahead and walk.

As I walk, I get lost in my thoughts, so much so that I didn't notice the red string went straight into his house.

I knock on the door and one of Alberts brothers opens it. "Al is still asleep in his room" is all he says as he lets me into the house.

I make my way to the room I've spent so, so much time in. I open the door and make my way into the surprisingly tidy room.

I tip toe over to the sleeping boy and leap on the bed, careful to not hurt him. He lifts his hand to cover his eyes, and that's when I notice it. The red string from my wrist connects directly to his wrist.

"G'mornin n/n" he mumbles groggily, somehow accurately identifing that it was me that jumped on him. "Al get up now" I demand, still in shock.

"Wha- what's wrong?" He asks. "Look for yourself" I tell him. He sits up and adjusts his position so that he's sitting up and I'm almost in his lap.

"Look" I tell him and he looks at my wrist, processing what he's seeing. He looks down at his own wrist and sure enough, there it is, red string.

"Oh" is all he says.

Now, in my opinion, this is great. I've liked Al for years. But I figure he doesn't reciprocate these feelings, so I've never said anything to him about it.

While he's thinking, a take a moment to notice that all he's wearing are some pajama bottoms, no shirt.

It's a pretty sight. He has a 6 pack from playing sports and working out, and his arms are very muscular. I happen to know that his hugs are the best because of how strong he is.

"Hey y/n?" He says, gaining my attention. "Yeah?"

"So...what are we gonna do about...this?" He asks, gesturing to the string.

"Well....what do you want to do?" I question. He thinks for a minute before simply saying "this" and before I know it, his lips are on mine. I freeze for a second, before reacting and kissing him back.

When we eventually pull apart, the red string between us glows gold before disappearing in a shower of golden sparkles.

"So" I say "soulmates, huh?" Albert grins as he nods, "if I'm bein honest, I've liked ya since I first met ya back in sixth grade" He blushes as he says this, but i find it sweet.

"I've liked you since sixth grade too, I just assumed since you were the super popular jock that you'd like one of the cheerleaders or volleyball girls, not me" I admit.

"Well what isn't to like about ya? You're gorgeous, your smile lights up a room, you're brilliant, you're so funny, you're perfect in my opinion!"

Now it's my turn to blush. I lean over and hug my best friend and say "so...what does this make us? Are we dating? Or what?"

"I'd be honored to be your boyfriend, if you're ok with that" He smiled.

"I'd love that, soulmate" i joke, before leaning in and giving him another kiss. Before the kiss becomes more heated, we hear his door open and we jump apart.

His older brother says "Hey Al, mom wants yall downstairs-" before seeming to realize the position we're in, with me pretty much in Alberts lap.

"Uh, what's happening here?" Al's other older brother says. "Well- uh- see- it's my 16th and my string was connected to Albert" I admit, blushing.

"Seriously? Come ON! I've been looking for my soulmate for 2 years! You found your soulmate in less than a day?!" The older of the two brothers says.

"Guess im just luckier than you" Albert laughs, wrapping his arms around me.

"Ok now get out! We'll be out in a few!" Albert yells at his brother's.

This has been the best birthday ever.