Racetrack Higgins - Hanahaki

I was confused when I coughed up the first flower petal.

It was a white rose petal, a few drops of blood staining it.

Then, a week later, it was three petals.

Then 6 a week after that.

Then 10, 5 days after that.

Then a whole flower a few days after that.

That's when I decided to finally tell someone.

I went to my friend Mush, to see if he knew what was happening.

"Mush? Can I borrow you for a second?" I ask him, pulling him away from a conversation with his boyfriend.

"Yeah, everything alright?" He asks, concerned.

"Uh, no, I don't think so"

"Whats wrong?"

"I've been coughing up flower petals. And a whole flower." I tell him.

His face pales a bit, and he says "no, no, no, I thought it was just a myth-"

"What? What are you talking about?!" I ask, panicking.

"Its called Hanahaki. It's when someone is so in love with someone else, someone who doesn't love them back, or that they believe doesn't or will never love them back, that it causes flowers to bloom in their lungs...it'll kill you if something doesn't happen soon. Who is it, anyway?" He asks.

"Wh- i-" I stutter, confused. Sure, I love Race alot but...enough for this to happen?

But he doesn't love me like that. I'm just his best friend. He won't see me as anything other than that. Ever.

"Racer..." I mumble, feeling tears coursing down my cheeks. Then I feel myself start to cough.

Two flowers. Roses.

White, with red blood stains covering most of their petals.

Mush's eyes go wide, and he looks at the roses in shock.

"Look, there's only two ways you can fix this" He starts, and I motion him to continue. "One, Race needs to love you. He needs to say it out loud to you, and mean it. Or...there's a surgery. It'll remove the flowers. And every memory you have of Race"

"Wh- what? But...he doesn't love me like that and- and I can't forget him!" I sob.

"Look, there's only one way to find out if he truly does or doesn't love you. Talk to him. Before those roses get any redder....if they become fully red.....you'll die, and I can't have that happen, ok?" He says, giving me a big hug.

"Ok" I choke out.

"Th- thanks Mush" I say, before going to leave to talk to Racer.

"Hey, good luck" He says, going back to Blink.

I get in my car, but I have to pull over when I feel more petals and flowers making their way out of my throat.

Five flowers. Almost entirely red.

I get to Racer's apartment, knocking frantically on the door, tears streaming down my face.

"Y/n? Darling what's wrong?" He asks, as soon as the door is opened.

I push my way into his apartment, covering my mouth to keep me from coughing any more.

I keep my mouth shut tight as I type in Hanahaki into google, showing him what it says.

"Flowers? Hold on, is this what's happening to you? Is this what's making you act like this?" He asks, his eyes going wide.

I nod, still not opening my mouth. I open my notes and typing "I'm at a late stage" and showing it to him

"But- who? Who is it that you love?" He asks

I type "you" and hand him my phone.

He looks between me and the phone before clicking my phone off, putting it in his pocket to free his hands up, and placing his hands on my waist, pulling me close.

"Hey, sunshine, I love you so so much, and I dunno why I didn't tell you sooner, but I can't stand to see you suffering because of this" He says before kissing me gently.

I feel my lungs clear up, and the urge to cough goes away.

"It worked, Race!" I say tearfully, a bright smile on my face.

He smiles brightly, and says "sunshine, ya shoulda told me you loved me, I've loved you for years" He says, still holding me close.

"I didn't wanna mess up our friendship, but I didn't know this could happen" I say, gesturing to where my lungs are.

I decide to spend the night at Racers, and I remember to text Mush before I go to bed.

Me
Hey Mushy, I talked to him, and the flowers are gone!

Mushy Boi
Thank goodness
I was not about to lose you because of those damn flowers.
Blink says he's happy too

Me
Aww thanks Blink
I'm staying at Racers tonight, byeeee

Mushy Boi
Use protection!
THAT WAS BLINK, IM SO SORRY

Me
LMAO BLINK NO