Spot Conlon - Queen

As all of the newsies of the biggest cities in New York gather at Medda's theater, I glance around, looking for one person in particular.

I do something that's probably dumb and dangerous, and climb up some of the scaffolding that's holding up the higher boxes.

I finally find the boy I'm looking for, and I hop down to go to him.

I run through the crowd to get to him, shoving people who are in my way.

His back is facing me so I yell "Spot! SPOT!" and that catches his attention.

He turns around to see who was calling him, and upon seeing me, his face splits into a wide smile.

"Hey, there's my queen" He says as soon as I get over to him. I wrap my arms around him, and he wraps his around me.

"I'm so glad you came!" I say, looking at the boy. "Hey, I wouldn't miss this, and I definitely wouldn't miss a chance to see my queen"

Since he's generally known as the 'King of Brooklyn', ever since we started dating, he's been referring to me as his queen.

It's really sweet in my opinion, and it comes with the benefit of nobody in Brooklyn messing with me, because they know if they do, they'll invoke Spots wrath. And that is something nobody in their right mind would do.

I'm one of the few newsies who can freely go to any part of Brooklyn, which is why I was the one to visit to convince Spot to join the strike.

Flashback

I walked into Brooklyn, and a newsie I'd never seen before, probably around 16-17, walked up to me and got all up in my face.

"Whatchu doin here girlie? I don't think Spot would like to see a Manhattaner in his turf, now, would he?" He says

"Oh, I don't know, why don't we go see him?" I say, feigning ignorance.

He grabs my arm roughly and drags me to the Brooklyn newsboy lodge and over to Spot.

He finally lets go of my arm, and Spot raises his eyebrow, but I give him a look that just says 'play along'

"Ey, boss, this Manhattan newsie was tryna come into our turf" He says, and before Spot can say anything, I step right up to him and press a kiss to his lips and say "hey, baby, I was coming to talk to you and he got all in my face, figured I'd let you deal with 'im" i glance over, and the new newsie looks appalled.

"Youse Spots goil?" He says, his voice shaking. "Yeah, she is, and if you lay another hand on her, you're dead, hear me?" Spot threatens, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me close to him.

The kid nods, terrified, and runs off.

"Well, that was fun" I say, before remembering why I was there. "Look, Spot, we in Manhattan are strikin, and with Brooklyns support, we could actually win this thing" I tell him

"If we get the nod from you guys, we'll have all of New York on our side"

"I dunno, baby, it seems risky" He says, his voice much gentler than it was a moment ago with the other newsie.

"I know, but they'se stealin' from us! We gots to sell 10 more papes just to make the same as we did before!" I exclaim

"Youse right, but what if it doesn't work?" He says "oh, it'll work. They won't be making any money, they'll do anything to get their steady flow of money back!"

He thinks on it for a moment before saying "ah, I can't say no to you, doll" He says, before "but how do we know that the other manhattaners aren't gonna back down at the first sight of trouble?" He asks

I understand his concerns and say "we Manhattan newsies don't back down. None of us. We will get what we want"

He smiles at me and says "that's my girl" and runs his hand up and down my back.

Present

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Spot waving in front of my face and saying "anybody in there?" Jokingly

"Yeah, yeah, sorry, what were you saying?"

"Just that I loves youse, darling"

For someone so tough, he really is sweet.