Davey Jacobs - Jacks Sister

"A new kid, huh?" Wiesel says, making every newsie look at the tall boy.

"Hey, I'm new too!" A small boy says from behind the tall boy.

"Don't worry, kid. It rubs right off" Racer tells the small boy.

Apparently tall boy doesn't know how buying papes works.

After he gets his papes, he says "uh, excuse me! I paid for twenty and you only gave me nineteen"

As Wiesel yells at him about ungrounded accusations, I stride over to him, taking his papes out of his hands.

"Ey, Weasel, new kid is right, ya only gave 'im nineteen." I start, and my brother finishes "I'm sure it's an honest mistake on account'a Oscar can't count to twenty with 'is shoes on"

Oscar rears his fist back but is stopped by Wiesel.

Wiesel throws another pape at Tall Boy and tells him to scram.

"Here, give the new kid fifty more papes" Jack says, placing a quarter on the box.

"I don't want more papes"

My eyes go wide and I ask "what kinda newsie don't want more papes?"

"We're no charity case. I don't even know you" Tall Boy says, walking away.

"His name is Jack! And hers is Siren!" The younger brother says.

"Yea, these are the famous Kelly siblings. They once escaped jail on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage! It made all the papes!" Crutchie tells them.

"Say, kid, how old are you?" Jack asks. "I'm 10! Almost"

"Well kid, if anyone asks, you're 7. Younger sells more papes. And if we's gonna be partners-" I get cut off by Tall Boy.

"Who said we wanna be partners?"

"Selling with Jack or Siren is the chance of a lifetime! You learn from them you learn from the best!" Crutchie informs Tall Boy.

"If they're the best, what do they need from us?"

" 'Cause you got a little brother and my sister....well, she ain't so little no more. With that push, we could easily sell a thousand papes per week." Jack says.

"Hey, kid, look sad" I tell him, and he immediately sticks his bottom lip out and gives puppy dog eyes.

"Ohhh, we's gonna make millions" Jack says.

"This is my brother David, and I'm Les" the young boy now known as Les says.

"Well Davey, it's nice to meet ya" I say, sticking my hand out to the boy and he takes it hesitantly and shakes it.

"Yea, nice ta meet ya. I'll take my two bits off the top and we split the rest 70-30, k?" Jack says, turning to walk away.

"50-50. You wouldn't try to pull a fast one on a little kid!" Les squeaks.

I hear oohs from the surrounding Newsies, so I state "60-40 and that's our final offer."

Les looks at Davey who gives a slight nod.

"Deal!"

They spit shake on it, making me cringe and Davey say "that's disgusting"

"That's just business for ya!"

"Ok Siren you and Davey can sell together and I'll take Les"

"Alright by me" I agree

"But-"

"Don't worry, Davey, Jack will take care of your brother" i tell him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Ey Dave, if I find out you try and make a move on my sista, yous gonna get a good soakin'" Jack tells Davey.