Racetrack Higgins - My Love

We stood proud and tall as our picture was taken, smiling and happy.

Then the bulls arrived.

I try to stick with Racer, but I lose him in the chaos.

The next time I see him, the fight is over.

I'm sat on the ground, holding my head, guys all around.

I hear someone shrieking my name.

"Y/N?! Y/N?" the unmistakable voice of Racetrack rings out.

"I'm over here Racer!" I yell weakly.

He pushes through the crowds, frantically looking for me.

I can't stand up, I took a hit to the ankle with Wiesels bat.

He finds me and drops down to the ground to be level with me.

He throws his arms around me, and i feel him shaking lightly.

I rub his back gently as he cries.

"I was so worried they gots youse" He sobs out

"I was worried they got you too, Racer"

It's rare to see Race like this. He keeps his emotions bottled up, for fear of being seen as weak.

He pulls off of me, and I see his face.

He has a bruise forming around one of his eyes, and one on his jawline.

I rub my hand gently on his face, and he leans into my touch. I wipe his tears off of his face, before pressing a gentle kiss to his lips.

"Hey my love, don't cry, I'm here with you, and nothing will ever change that, ok?" I say to him.

He nods, kissing me again quickly.

"I love you Racer"

"Love you too, Doll"

That night, as I'm getting settled into bed, Racer pops his head into my room.

"Uh, hey, doll...could I sleep in here with you tonight?" He asks

"Yeah, sure!"

"You sure it won't be a bother?"

"Racer, get your ass over here and into this bed" I order.

He does as I tell him, and hops into the bed, right beside me.

I cuddle up next to him, pressing my face into his shoulder as he hugs me.

I press gentle kisses to his shoulder and up his neck and face, making him smile.

//the next morning//

We're all sat in Jacobi's Deli, all scattered around the chairs and tables, the mood grim.

I'm sat in Racer's lap, his arms around me loosely.

"Good morning boys! And y/n!" Katherines voice rings out through the small diner.

"Would you get a load of these glum mugs! Are these really the same newsies that got front page of the New York Sun?"

My head shoots up and I almost fall out of Racetrack's lap as he sits up quickly.

I stand up, walking over to Katherine, limping slightly.

"You got us on the front page?"

"No, you got yourselves on the front page, I just wrote the article to go with it"

Kath asks about Jack, and Albert tells her what the Delancy brothers have been saying.

"Jack don't run from no fight!" Les squeaks earning a response of "Take it down a notch, short stop. I'm just reporting the news!" From Albert.

"Can you stOw the sErIoSiTy for long enough to just DrINk! INnN! THa! mOmeNt! I'm FaMoUs" Race says, pretending to punch Albert before wrapping an arm around him.

"Yea? What of it?" Henry says, for some reason standing on a table.

"Well are ya stupid or what?" I start

"When ya famous, the woild is yer erster!" Racer finishes.

Everyone, myself included, looks at him.

"Ya what?"

"Yer erster" He tries again, to no avail.

"Yer erster!" He says, glancing at me. I shrug, still not understanding him.

"Ya know ya fancy clam with da poil inside!"

"Racer my love it's pronounced OYSTER" I say, smacking his shoulder lightly.

"Alright, but what does being famous pay?"

We launch into a somehow very synchronized performance, and Racer dances with me so I'm not putting too much weight on my ankle.

And even though everything had been going so so wrong, everything feels so so right when I'm with my love.