Kid Blink - Clumsy

"Ah, ow!" I hear at the desk behind mine.

I don't bother to turn around, he does this every day.

The boy behind me, Louis, more commonly known as Kid Blink, is a total clutz and bumps into his desk constantly.

I feel a poke on my shoulder, but I elect to ignore it. Except he continues to poke me. Repeatedly.

"Good morning, Blink" I sigh, turning to face him.

"About time! You didn't even ask if I was ok" He pouts.

I roll my eyes at the boy and say "Blink, you do this every day, and you're always ok"

"I can't help that I'm a clutz" He says, resting his chin on his hand.

"And why is it so important that I ask you if you're ok?" I ask him

"Because I like hearing you talk to me" he says.

"Mmm, sure you do, Ballat" I say before turning around and facing front again.

The teacher starts talking about a project, and all is well til she announces the partners.

All thats running through my head is not Ballat, not Ballat.

I hear my last name, followed by "and Ballat"

I mentally curse, and turn around to give Blink a glare.

He's grinning at me, his bright blue eye sparkling.

The teacher releases us to make plans with our partners, and Blink says "Your house after school?"

"Mmm, why not your house?" I ask.

His grin drops and the sparkle in his eye dulls.

"I- uh- my parents aren't great...they're drunks, it'd be better for both of us to go to your place"

And that gets me thinking.

"Yeah, ok. Do you drive here or take the bus?" I ask him.

"Bus, parents don't want me having a car."

"Alright. Meet me in the courtyard after the final bell rings, I'll drive you to my place" i tell him.

He smiles at me, the sparkle coming back to his eye.

When the final bell rang, I ran from my last block to the courtyard. I glance around til I feel someone grab my wrist.

I turn and see Blink holding on to me.

"Hey Princess"

I roll my eyes at the pet name, but I secretly kinda like it.

I grab his hand and gently pull him towards my car.

We get in and I start the ignition, pulling out of the school parking lot.

We talk the whole way to my house, and I find out that he's actually really, really sweet.

We like alot of the same books and series, but he prefers sports while I prefer theater.

We get to my house and I unlock the front door and we walk in.

"Hey, y/n could- oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were having a guest over!" My mother says.

"Oh, sorry. We're partners for a project and it was more convenient for us to come here to work on it. This is Blink, by the way" I say, and he just waves.

"Oh, is this that cute boy you're always talking about? Must be, since i doubt there's too many boys named Blink that have eye patches at your school" She teases, and my eyes go wide and my face flushes.

"Mom!" I stage whisper, before grabbing Blinks hand and pulling him to my room.

Blink laughs as I pull him along up the stairs, and once we get to my room, he asks "So you talk about me, huh? I thought I was just an annoyance to you?"

I blush again, and watch as he proceeds to walk into my dresser because he wasn't paying attention.

I giggle at his cursing, and say "I think it would be better if you didn't walk into my dresser"

He gives me a fake glare, and says "yeah, probably"

We sit down and pull out our laptops and our projects.

We get to work, chatting here and there.

Eventually we end up cuddled up together somehow.

"I'm bored, wanna take a break?" He asks me.

I close my laptop and say "sure"

We just chat for a while, but then I have to get up for a moment to use the restroom.

When I enter the room, he has his eye patch off.

I gasp a bit, because the whole area around his eye is scarred and rough, like someone took a knife to his eye.

He looks up at me, startled.

"Oh, god, I'm sorry, this probably looks awful. Uh- the elastic gets really uncomfortable if i wear it too long, so I had to take it off for a moment."

"No no, it's fine, it was just unexpected, thats all." I tell him.

"Yeah, gimme a sec and I'll put it back on" He says, clearly embarrassed.

"If it was causing you discomfort, you can keep it off, you know?" I tell him, not wanting him to be uncomfortable.

"You sure? I mean, this isn't a pretty sight, I don't want it to make you uncomfortable" He says, gesturing at his eye.

"Yeah, and don't worry, it's not making me uncomfortable. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to it?"

"Remember how I mentioned my parents are drunks?" He asks me

I nod, worried as to where this is going.

"They came home from the bar one night, I was....ehhh, 7? Maybe 8... somewhere around there, and apparently I did something to piss my father off, so he grabbed a kitchen knife, and did this" He finishes, pointing at his eye.

I clamp my hand over my mouth, tears pricking at my eyes.

"Oh my god, Blink.....I'm so sorry" I say, throwing my arms around him.

He gently wraps his arms around me, and says "hey, it's ok, it was a long time ago..."

"No, it's not ok...." I say, still holding him close.

I pull back from the hug mostly, and look into his eyes- eye? Eyes- and before I know it, our lips are connected in a sweet and passionate kiss.

It's messy and it's clumsy and it's not perfect, but neither are we. It's enough for us.