Racetrack Higgins - I Always Loved You

"JOCKEY BLOODIED BY RAGING STALLION! YOU HEARD IT HERE FOLKS" I shout, until finally, a woman comes by and buys my last pape.

I sigh out a quick "finally" and start walking back to the lodging house. That is, until I hear Albert shouting my name. I see him running towards me so I run to meet him in the middle.

"Ey, Al, what's wrong?" I ask. Albert rarely runs, unless it's an emergency. "Its....race..." he pants out.

I freeze upon hearing the name of my best friend and crush of three years. "What- what happened to Race?"

"He collapsed in da street. Nobody knows what happened. I was sent to come find youse. You done sellin for da day?" He asks, and I nod.

"Good, now let's get back to the lodge so you can sees him" he says, and without another thought, I book it down the road to get to the lodge.

When I get there, I dash up the stairs to Race's room. "Where is he?! Is he breathing?! Is he ok?!" I yell. The boys that were crowded around my love quickly move upon hearing my voice.

He's completely unconscious, and I grab his hand and stroke the back of it delicately. "Ey, boys, give 'er some space 'ere." Al says.

"Thanks Al" I mutter. As the boys clear out, I start talking. I guess I'm talking to Race, even though I know he can't hear me.

"Oh, Race, What happened to you? My god, you have to pull through this. For me. Please Race, you can't die on me, not before I've told you how much I love you"

I say, and a few stray tears slip down my cheeks.

"I've loved you for so, so long. I loved you when you spent the quarter you was plannin on usin to buy some Cigars on a bouquet of roses cuz I was alone on Valentines day when most of the boys had dates" I say, recounting the fond memory.

"I loved you when you held my hair back when I was throwin up and you brought me water and bread and medicine that you probably stole" I choke out, tears coming out faster now.

"I loved you when you held me after I had a nightmare. I loved you when you spent a whole dollar just to buy me a necklace for my birthday. I loved you the entire time, Race. And I'm not losing you now." I sob at the end, I can't lose my best friend. Not today, Satan.

I feel him squeeze my hand, and I see his eyes flutter open. "That true, sunshine?" He asks. "Wh-what? Were you awake that whole time?" I stutter out.

"More'r less. I heard from you talkin bout the roses til the end" I blush furiously at his words. "I- uh- um- I should go-" I say, attempting to leave, only to have myself pulled back by the boy laying there, my hand tight in his grasp.

"I loves ya too, my little ray of sunshine" he says, still a little groggy. "Now cmere and kiss me, b i t c h" He says, and I laugh at how aggressive it was before complying. God I love this boy.