Spot Conlon - Newbie

(You're a fairly new newsie, nicknamed Sparks, because you have a firey personality)

"So who takes Brooklyn?" Jack yells through the diner, and everyone except for myself looks away.

"Spot Conlons turf!" He says in an almost mocking tone.

"C'mon. Finch! You saying you're afraid of Brooklyn?" He asks the boy

Finch stands up and says "I ain't afraid of no turf!" And everyone looks at him "but that Spot Conlon gets me a little...jittery" He finishes, shaking a bit at the end.

"Fuck it, I'll take Brooklyn" I say

Every newsie looks at me, and Jack says "ehh, newbie, I don't think that's a good idea. Not only are you new, but your personality....well Spot probably won't like you too much"

"I don't care. The rest of you are too scared to do it. So I'll do it" I say, doubling down.

"Fine" Jack sighs.

And that's why I'm now walking to Brooklyn, on my own.

I get to Brooklyn, and almost immediately, a boy comes up to me.

"Ey, this is Brooklyn turf, youse a Manhattaner. You stay over dere" He says, pointing at the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge.

"I need to speak to Spot. It's about the strike" I tell him, my guard up.

"Hm. Fine. I'll take you to 'im." He says, still wary of me.

"Thanks"

We walk for a bit until we reach the Brooklyn Lodging House.

He leads me in and Spot is in there, thankfully.

He glances at me, and at the boy beside me. "Ringer who is this?" He asks

"A Manhattaner. Here to talk bout the strike." He informs Spot.

Spot is much different than I expected. He's only probably around 5'4, if even that.

"Fine. Ringer, get out. I'll talk to her alone."

The boy that led me here leaves and Spot walks up to me.

"So. Manhattan sent you to talk to me?" He says, looking me up and down.

"I was the only person with the balls to do it. Funny, cuz I'm the only girl there, and I'm new." I tell him.

"Hm. So, what's this about the strike?" He asks me.

"We're strikin, because of the price hike. If we get Brooklyn on our side, we have all of New York. So I'm here to tell you to join the strike" I tell him

"Mm, don't you mean 'ask if I'll join the strike'?" He asks, questioning my phrasing.

"No. Not really. You're gonna join, whether by means of force or by your own free will" I inform him.

"Huh. I like you. I've never met someone so willing to challenge me." He says.

"Well, I've been with the Manhattan newsies for a week now and I've already earned the name Sparks because I have a firey personality and a hot head" I tell him

"You're personality isn't the only hot thing about you" he flirts. I roll my eyes.

"So, you joining the strike?" I ask

"Soon as you prove Manhattan won't back down at the first sign of trouble, I'm on board" He tells me.

"We won't back down. And you better be on board." I tell him.